Main Article Content
patellar tendon, rupture, repair, anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction, postoperative complications
Patellar tendon rupture after anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction is a rare complication which usually occurs in the early postoperative period during rehabilitation. The management of open avulsions from tibial tuberosity has not been clearly defined yet. We describe a previously unreported case of traumatic and open patellar tendon avulsion from tibial tuberosity one year following ACL reconstruction in an elite football player which was successfully treated with suture anchors.
2. Benner RW, Shelbourne KD, Urch SE, Lazarus D. Tear patterns, surgical repair, and clinical outcomes of patellar tendon ruptures after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction with a bone-patellar tendon-bone autograft. Am J Sports Med 2012; 40: 1834-41.
3. Haasters F, Ockert B, Mutschler W, Kessler MA. Late patellar tendon ruptures 10 years after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction using a bone-patellar tendon-bone graft. Unfallchirurg 2009; 112: 728-33.
4. Marumoto JM, Mitsunaga MM, Richardson AB, Medoff RJ, Mayfield GW. Late patellar tendon ruptures after removal of the central third for anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. A report of two cases. Am J Sports Med 1996; 24: 698-701.
5. LaPrade RF, Hamilton CD, Montgomery RD, Wentorf F, Hawkins HD. The reharvested central third of the patellar tendon. A histologic and biomechanical analysis. Am J Sports Med 1997; 25: 779-85.
6. Benner RW, Shelbourne KD, Freeman H. Nonoperative management of a partial patellar tendon rupture after bone-patellar tendon-bone graft harvest for ACL reconstruction. J Knee Surg 2013; 26(Suppl 1): S123-7.
7. Ouweleen KM, McElroy JJ. A unique complication following arthroscopic anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Arthroscopy 1995; 11: 225-8.
8. Busfield BT, Safran MR, Cannon WD. Extensor mechanism disruption after contralateral middle third patellar tendon harvest for anterior cruciate ligament revision reconstruction. Arthroscopy 2005; 21: 1268.
9. Milankov Ziva M, Semnic R, Miljković N, Harhaji V. Reconstruction of patellar tendon rupture after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: a case report. Knee 2008; 15: 419-22.
10. Sousa A, Matos R, Veludo V, Pedroso D, Pinto R, Cabral T. Patellar tendon avulsion after reconstruction of the anterior cruciate ligament. Int Orthop 2002; 26: 129-30.
11. Grim C, Lorbach O, Engelhardt M. Quadriceps and patellar tendon ruptures. Orthopäde 2010; 39: 1127-34.
12. Capiola D, Re L. Repair of patellar tendon rupture with suture anchors. Arthroscopy 2007; 23: 906.e1-4.
13. Bushnell BD, Byram IR, Weinhold PS, Creighton RA. The use of suture anchors in repair of the ruptured patellar tendon. A biomechanical study. Am J Sports Med 2006; 34: 1492-9.