Jejunal diverticulitis: Things to know to prevent diagnostic mistake
Main Article Content
jejunal diverticulitis, emergent surgery, jejunal resection
We report a peculiar case of jejunal diverticulitis in 54-year-old female. Since hospital admission, a colonic diverticulitis was suspected. CT scan of the abdomen showed multiple fluid collections with free intraperitoneal extraluminal air, suggesting bowel perforation. A complicated acute diverticulitis of the colon was suspected but intraoperatively, a perforated acute diverticulitis of jejunum was detected. The aim of this work is to evidence the key role of CT scan of the abdomen in differential diagnosis of unfrequently pathological entities, such as jejunal diverticulitis, to prevent diagnostic mistakes.
2. Zager J.S., Garbus J.E., Shaw J.P., Cohen M.G., Garber S.M. Jejunal diverticulosis: a rare entity with multiple presentations, a series of cases. Dig. Surg. 2000;17:643–645.
3. Akhrass R, Yaffe MB, Fischer C, Ponsky J, Shuck JM. Small-bowel diverticulosis: perceptions and reality. J Am Coll Surg. 1997 Apr;184((4)):383–8.
4. Sibille A., Willocx R. Jejunal diverticulitis. Am. J. Gastroenterol. 1992;87:655–658.
5. Wilcox R.D., Shatney C.H. Surgical implications of jejunal diverticula. South Med. J. 1988;81:1386–1391.
6. Transue DL, Hanna TN, Shekhani H, Rohatgi S, Khosa F, Johnson JO. Small bowel diverticulitis: an imaging review of an uncommon entity. Emerg Radiol. 2017 Apr;24((2)):195–205.
7. De Peuter B, Box I, Vanheste R, Dymarkowski S. Small-bowel diverticulosis:imaging findings and review of three cases. Gastroenterol Res Pract. 2009;2009:549853. doi:10.1155/2009/549853
8. Butler J.S., Collins C.G., McEntee G.P. Perforated jejunal diverticula: a case report. J. Med. Case Rep. 2010;4(June (7)):172.
9. Alam S, Rana A, Pervez R. Jejunal diverticulitis: imaging to management. Ann Saudi Med. 2014;34(1):87–90. doi:10.5144/0256-4947.2014.87
10. Wilcox RD, Shatney CH. Surgical implications of jejunal diverticula. South Med J. 1988;81(11):1386–1391.
11. Gotian A, Katz S. Jejunal diverticulitis with localized perforation and intramesenteric abscess. American Journal of Gastroenterology. 1998;93(7):1173–1175.