Main Article Content
niacin-deficiency,, nutritional disorder,, isoniazide
By the mid-20th century, pellagra had virtually been eradicated from the USA and Europe. Eradication of the disease on the African continent lags behind. Outbreaks are maintained by escalating food insecurity, violent unrest and possibly by the burden of communicable diseases.
2. Viljoen M, Bipath P, Tosh C. Pellagra in South Africa from 1897 to 2019: a scoping review. Public Health Nutr 2021; 24(8):2062–2076.
3. Conz CR. (Un)Cultivating the Disease of Maize: Pellagra, Policy and Nutrition Practice in Lesotho, c.1933–1963. J South Afr Stud 2020; 46(3):509-526.
4. World Health Organization (WHO). United Nations High Commissions for Refugees. 2000. Pellagra and its prevention and control in major emergencies. WHO reference number: WHO_NHD_00.10.
5. Matapandeu G, Dunn SH, Pagels P. An Outbreak of Pellagra in the Kasese Catchment Area, Dowa, Malawi. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2017; 96(5):1244-1247.
6. Kapata N, Zumla A. Preventing pellagra during isoniazid preventive treatment. Lancet Glob. Health 2022; 10(5):e600-e601.
7. Nabity SA, Mponda K, Gutreuter S, et al. Isoniazid-associated pellagra during mass scale-up of tuberculosis preventive therapy: a case-control study. Lancet Glob Health 2022; 10(5):e705-e714.