Main Article Content
Azithromycin, COVID-19, SarS-CoV-2, Hydroxychloroquine, pregnancy
The combination of hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) and azithromycin could represent a suitable treatment for SarS-CoV-2 positive pregnancies. The authors report one of the first cases of COVID-19 positive pregnant woman successfully treated with HCQ in April 2020.
2. Singh AK, Singh A, Shaikh A, Singh R, Misra A. Chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine in the treatment of COVID-19 with or without diabetes: A systematic search and a narrative review with a special reference to India and other developing countries. Diabetes Metab Syndr. 2020;14(3):241–6.
3. FDA. Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update: Daily Roundup March 30, 2020 [Internet]. https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/coronavirus-covid-19-update-daily-roundup-march-30-2020. 2020.
4. Lu H. Drug treatment options for the 2019-new coronavirus (2019-nCoV). Biosci Trends. 2020;14(1):69–71.
5. Colson P, Rolain J-M, Raoult D. Chloroquine for the 2019 novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2. Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2020;55(3):105923.
6. Wang M, Cao R, Zhang L, Yang X, Liu J, Xu M, et al. Remdesivir and chloroquine effectively inhibit the recently emerged novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) in vitro. Cell Res. 2020;30(3):269–71.
7. Liu J, Cao R, Xu M, Wang X, Zhang H, Hu H, et al. Hydroxychloroquine, a less toxic derivative of chloroquine, is effective in inhibiting SARS-CoV-2 infection in vitro. Cell Discov. 2020;6:16.
8. Yao X, Ye F, Zhang M, Cui C, Huang B, Niu P, et al. In Vitro Antiviral Activity and Projection of Optimized Dosing Design of Hydroxychloroquine for the Treatment of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). Clin Infect Dis. 2020;
9. Gautret P, Lagier J-C, Parola P, Hoang VT, Meddeb L, Mailhe M, et al. Hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin as a treatment of COVID-19: results of an open-label non-randomized clinical trial. Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2020;105949.
10. Gao J, Tian Z, Yang X. Breakthrough: Chloroquine phosphate has shown apparent efficacy in treatment of COVID-19 associated pneumonia in clinical studies. Biosci Trends. 2020;14(1):72–3.
11. Chen C-Y, Wang F-L, Lin C-C. Chronic hydroxychloroquine use associated with QT prolongation and refractory ventricular arrhythmia. Clin Toxicol (Phila). 2006;44(2):173–5.
12. Choi Y, Lim H-S, Chung D, Choi J-G, Yoon D. Risk Evaluation of Azithromycin-Induced QT Prolongation in Real-World Practice. Biomed Res Int. 2018;2018:1574806.
13. Yang Z, Prinsen JK, Bersell KR, Shen W, Yermalitskaya L, Sidorova T, et al. Azithromycin Causes a Novel Proarrhythmic Syndrome. Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol. 2017;10(4).
14. Ehud Chorin, Matthew Dai, Eric Shulman, Lailt Wadhwani, Roi Bar Cohen, Chirag Barbhaiya, Anthony Aizer, Douglas Holmes, Scott Bernstein, Michael Soinelli, David S Park, Larry Chinitz, Lior JankelosnEhud Chorin, Matthew Dai, Eric Shulman, Lailt Wadhwani, R LJ. The QT Interval in Patients with SARS-CoV-2 Infection Treated with Hydroxychloroquine/Azithromycin. 2020;21(1):1–9.
15. Alhazzani W, Møller MH, Arabi YM, Loeb M, Gong MN, Fan E, et al. Surviving Sepsis Campaign: guidelines on the management of critically ill adults with Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). Intensive Care Med. 2020;
16. multicenter collaboration group of Department of Science and Technology of Guangdong Province and Health Commission of Guangdong Province for chloroquine in the treatment of novel coronavirus pneumonia. [Expert consensus on chloroquine phosphate for the treatment of novel coronavirus pneumonia]. Zhonghua Jie He He Hu Xi Za Zhi. 2020;43(3):185–8.
17. Ponticelli C, Moroni G. Hydroxychloroquine in systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE). Expert Opin Drug Saf. 2017;16(3):411–9.
18. Fiehn C, Ness T, Weseloh C, Specker C, Hadjiski D, Detert J, et al. [Safety management of the treatment with antimalarial drugs in rheumatology. Interdisciplinary recommendations based on a systematic literature search]. Z Rheumatol. 2020;79(2):186–94.
19. Bangash MN, Patel J, Parekh D. COVID-19 and the liver: little cause for concern. Lancet Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2020;5(6):529–30.
20. Liu C, Jiang ZC, Shao CX, Zhang HG, Yue HM, Chen ZH, et al. [Preliminary study of the relationship between novel coronavirus pneumonia and liver function damage: a multicenter study]. Zhonghua Gan Zang Bing Za Zhi. 2020;28(2):148–52.