Main Article Content
Prophecy, Ankle arthroplasty, Ankle Arthritis
Ankle arthrodesis has been considered the surgical Gold Standard for advanced ankle arthritis; prosthetic replacement of the tibio-talar joint played a secondary role.The introduction of last generation ankle prostheses lead to better outcome and a lower rate of complication.
PSI represents the most recent innovations introduced on the market of ankle arthroplasty:PSI is proposed as a surgical technique capable of making ankle arthroplasty more accurate and more reproducible compared to standard referencing guides
Aim of the study is to report early clinical and radiographic outcomes obtained from a single surgeon experience by implanting the same ankle prosthesis using a standard (STD) or a PSI instrumentation
Unlike no difference in the average increment of normalized sub score related to function in each group (PSI vs STD), the analysis of normalized pain sub score pointed out a greater average improvement in the PSI group(+75%)compared to the STD group(+62%);this result has been adovacated to the absence of post operative gutter impingement syndrome in the PSI group compared to the STD referencing group.
The analysis of radiographic angles revealed a more accurate and reproducible positioning of the components in the PSI group; ankle arthroplasty performed with PSI reported a reduction of both surgical times and the need of intraop.fluoroscopy.
PSI ankle arthroplasty achived more accurate and reproducible clinical and radiographic results compared to STD instrumentation;long-term follow-up are needed to demonstrate whether a better positioning of the implant is associated with an increased survival of the prosthesis and therefore justifies the additional costs of PSI.
2) Barg et al, Ankle Joint Distraction Arthroplasty: Why and How? Foot and AnkleClin N Am 18 (2013) 459-470
3) Lawton et al, Total ankle arthroplasty versus ankle arthrodesis – a comparison of outcomes over the last decade, Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery and Research (2017) 12:76
4) Pedowitz et al, Total ankle arthroplasty versus ankle arthrodesis, The Bone and Joint Journal 2016; 98 B: 634-40
5) Shane et al, Total Ankle Replacement Options, Clin Podiatr Med Surg 36 (2019) 597-607
6) Jeyaseelan et al, Outcomes Following Total Ankle Arthroplasty – A Review of the Registry Data and Current Literature, Orthop Clin N Am 50 (2019) 539-548
7) Aicale et al, Lower limb joint repair and replacement: an overview, F1000 Research 2019,8:2122
8) Cody et al, Total Ankle Arthroplasty – A Critical Analysis Review, Journal of Bone & Joints Surgery, 2018; 6 (8):e8
9) Marotte et al, Total Ankle Prosthesis. Techniques and first results. Apropos of 12 cases, Rev Chir orthop Reparatrice Appar Mot, 1973, 39, 139-151
10) Marotte et al, Total Ankle Replacement, Rev Chir orthop Reparatrice Appar Mot, 1980, 66, 527-530
11) J.A. Vickerstaff et al., A brief history of total ankle replacement and a review of the current status, Medical Engineering & Physics 29 (2007) 1056–1064
12) Sodha et al, Evolution of Total Ankle Arthroplasty, The University of Pennsylvania Orthopaedic Journal, 13: 18-21, 2000
13) Yu et al, Total Ankle Replacement: Evolution of the Technology and Future Applications, Bull Hosp Jt Dis. 2014; 72(1): 120-8
14) Saltzman et al, Epidemiology of ankle arthritis: report of a consecutive series of 639 patients from a tertiary orthopaedic center, Iowa Orthop J, 2005;25:44-6
15) Glazebrook et al, Comparison of Health-Related Quality of Life Between Patients with End-Stage Ankle and Hip Arthrosis, J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2008;90:499-505
16) Desai et al, Quality of Life in Bilateral Vs. Unilateral End-Stage Ankle Arthritis and Outcomes of Bilateral Vs. Unilateral Total Ankle Replacement, J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2017 Jan 18; 99(2): 133-140
17) Thomas et al, Ankle Arthritis, The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery Volume 85-A, number 5, may 2003
18) Thomas et al, Epidemiology of Posttraumatic Osteoarthritis, J Athl Train. 2017 Jun 2;52(6):491-496.
19) Valderrabano et al, Etiology of Ankle Osteoarthritis, Clin Orthop Relat Res (2009) 467:1800–1806
20) Merill et al, comparing 30-day all-cause readmission rates between tibiotalar fusion and total ankle replacement, Foot and Ankle Surgery, 2018
21) Ewalefo et al, Management of Posttraumatic Ankle Arthritis: Literature Review, Current Reviews in Musculoskeletal Medicine (2018) 11:546–557
22) Michael A. Gentile, Nonsurgical Treatment of Ankle Arthritis, Clin Podiatr Med Surg. 2017 Oct;34(4):415-423.
23) Goldberg et al, Total ankle replacemnt versus arthrodesis (TARVA): protocol for a multi center randomised controller trial, BMJ Open. 2016 Sep 6;6(9):e012716.
24) Muller et al, A randomised, multi-centre trial of total ankle replacemnt versus ankle arthrodesis in the treatment of patients with end stage ankle osteoarthritis (TARVA): statistical analysis plan, Trials. 2020 Feb 18;21(1):197.
25) Chopra et al, Supramalleolar Osteotomies, Clin Podiatr Med Surg 2017 Oct; 34(4): 445-460.
26) Barp et al, Arthroscopic Treatment of Ankle Arthritis, Clin Podiatr Med Surg, 2017 Oct; 34(4): 433-444.
27) Labib et al, Joint preservation Procedures for Ankle Arthritis, Foot Ankle Int , 2013 Jul;34(7):1040-7.
28) Rushing et al, The Infinity Total Ankle Prosthesis - Outcomes at Short-Term Follow-Up, Foot Ankle Spec. 2020 Aug 8; 1938640020946199.
29) King et al, Early outcomes and radiographic alignement of the Infinity total ankle replacemnt with a minimum of two year follow-up data, Foot Ankle Surg. 2019 Dec;25(6): 826-833.
30) Waly et al, Computed navigation Guidance for Ankle Replacement in the Setting of Ankle Deformity, Clin Podiatr Med Surg. 2018 Jan;35(1):85-94
31) Leigheb et al, Italian translation, cultural adaptation and validation of the "American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society's (AOFAS) ankle-hindfoot scale”, Acta Biomed. 2016 May 6;87(1):38-45
32) Daigre et al, Accuracy and Reproducibility Using Patient-Specific Instrumentation in Total Ankle Arthroplasty, Foot Ankle Int. 2017 Apr; 38(4): 412-418.
33) Saito et al, Short-Term Complications, Reoperations, and Radiographic Outcomes of a New Fixed-Bearing Total Ankle Arthroplasty, Foot Ankle Int. 2018 Jul;39(7):787-794
34) Schubert et al, Gutter Impingement in Total Ankle Arthroplasty, Foot Ankle Spec. 2016 Apr;9(2):145-58
35) Hintermann et al, Axial Rotational Alignement in Mobile-Bearing Total Ankle Arthroplasty, Foot & Ankle International 2020, Vol. 41 (5) 521-528
36) Najefi et al, Role of Rotation in Total Ankle Replacement, Foot Ankle Int. 2019 Dec;40(12):1358-1367
37) Gagne et al, Intraoperative Assessment of the Axial Rotational Positioning of a Modern Ankle Arthroplasty Tibial Component Using Preoperative Patient-Specific Instrumentation Guidance, Foot Ankle Int. 2019 Oct; 40 (10): 1160-1165
38) Kraus et al, Atlas of radiographic features of osteoarthritis of the ankle and hindfoot, Osteoarthritis and Cartilage 23 (2015) 2059-2085
39) Gougoulias et al, History and evolution in total ankle arthroplasty, Br Med Bull. 2009;89:111-51
40) Barg et al, Total Ankle Replacement, Indications, Implant Designs, and Results, Dtsch Arztebl Int. 2015 Mar 13; 112 (11): 177-84.
41) Omar et al, Imaging of Total Ankle Arthroplasty: Normal Imaging Findings and Hardware Complications, Semin Musculoskelet Radiol, 2019 Apr; 23 (2): 177-194
42) Wilkinson et al, Imaging in Foot and Ankle Arthritis, Semin Musculoskelet Radiol. 2016 Apr; 20 (2): 167-74
43) Cody et al, Lower Bone Density on Preoperative Computed Tomography Predicts Periprosthetic Fracture Risk in Total Ankle Arthroplasty, Foot Ankle Int. 2019 Jan; 40 (1): 1-8
44) Naal et al, Which Are the Most Frequently Used Outcome Instruments in Studies on Total Ankle Arthroplasty?, Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2010 Mar; 468(3): 815-26.
45) Rodriguez-Merchan et al, Total Ankle Arthroplasty: long-term Survival and factors that Influence it, Int. J. Of Orth. 2019 August 28; 6 (4): 1124-1128
46) Reeves et al, Current Concepts Regardin Total Ankle replacemnt as a Viable Tretament Option for Advanced Ankle Arthritis. What You Need to Know, Clin Podiatr Med Surg. 2017 Oct; 34(4): 515-527
47) Penner et al, The Infinity Total Ankle System, Early Clinical Results With 2 - to 4 – Year Follow-up, Foot Ankle Spec. 2019 Apr; 12 (2): 159-166
48) Cody et al, Increased early revision rate With the INFINITY Total Ankle Prosthesis, Foot Ankle Int. 2019 Jan; 40 (1): 9-17
49) Editorial Board of Foot & Ankle International, Total Ankle Arthroplasty: Minimum Follow-up Policy for Reporting Results and Guidelines for Reporting Problems and Complications Resulting in Reoperations, Foot Ankle Int 2017 Jul; 38(7): 703-704
50) Lee et al, Comparison of Intermediate-term Outcomes of Total Ankle Arthroplasty in Patients Younger and Older Than 55 Years
51) Saltzman et al, Impact of comorbidities on the measurement of health in patients with ankle osteoarthritis, J Bone Joint Surg [Am]2006; 88-A: 2366–2372.
52) Law et al, Trends in total ankle arthroplasty and revisions in the Medicare database, Ann Transl Med 2018 Apr; 6(7): 112
53) Hamid et al, Determining the Cost-savings threshold and Alignement Accuracy of patient-Specific Instrumentation in Total Ankle Replacements, Foot Ankle Int . 2017 Jan; 38 (1): 49-57.
54) S. L. Haddad, Letter regarding: Increased Early Revision rate With the INFINITY Total Ankle Prosthesis, Foot Ankle Int. 2019 Jan; 40 (1): 124-126.
55) Anugraha et al, The CT gap sign, a case of failure to seat the polythene componnet in total ankle replacement (infinity), J Surg Case Rep. 2020 Mar 24; 2020(3): rjz363.