Main Article Content
Adipose-derived mesenchymal stromal cells ; knee osteoarthritis ; hip osteoarthritis ; shoulder osteoarthritis ; degenerative meniscal tears ; talus osteochondral lesions ; pain
Human mesenchymal stromal cells (MSCs) have increasingly been used to treat osteoarthritis (OA) related pain and dysfunction, due to their capacity for regeneration and anti-inflammatory effects. Adipose-derived MSCs are characterized by their abundance, ease of access, easy isolation procedures, high lipoaspirate stromal cell production, quicker multiplication of cells, and less pain and morbidity during harvesting. These cells are typically enzymatically derived from adipose tissue but this technique has complicated regulatory problems. To address this problem, a new technique has been created to extract and process adipose tissue without expansion and the use of enzymes to produce autologous minimally manipulated adipose-derived MSCs. Recent studies have confirmed that this treatment is an effective and promising method for treating pain and improving joint function in patients affected by OA with a very low percentage of complications at short to mid-term follow-up.
2. Akkawi I. Ozone therapy for musculoskeletal disorders Current concepts. Acta Bio Med. 2020 Nov;91(4):e2020191. Doi: 10.23750/abm.v91i4.8979
3. Russo A, Screpis D, Di Donato SL, Bonetti S, Piovan G, Zorzi C. Autologous micro-fragmented adipose tissue for the treatment of diffuse degenerative knee osteoarthritis: an update at 3 year follow-up. J Exp Orthop. 2018 Dec 19;5(1):52.
4. Tremolada C, Ricordi C, Caplan AI, Ventura C. Mesenchymal Stem Cells in Lipogems, a Reverse Story: from Clinical Practice to Basic Science. Methods Mol Biol. 2016;1416:109-22.
5. Panchal J, Malanga G, Sheinkop M. Safety and Efficacy of Percutaneous Injection of Lipogems Micro-Fractured Adipose Tissue for Osteoarthritic Knees. Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ). 2018 Nov;47(11).
6. Bianchi F, Maioli M, Leonardi E, Olivi E, Pasquinelli G, Valente S, Mendez AJ, Ricordi C, Raffaini M, Tremolada C, Ventura C. A new nonenzymatic method and device to obtain a fat tissue derivative highly enriched in pericyte-like elements by mild mechanical forces from human lipoaspirates. Cell Transplant. 2013;22(11):2063-77.
7. Hudetz D, Borić I, Rod E, Jeleč Ž, Kunovac B, Polašek O, Vrdoljak T, Plečko M, Skelin A, Polančec D, Zenić L, Primorac D. Early results of intra-articular micro-fragmented lipoaspirate treatment in patients with late stages knee osteoarthritis: a prospective study. Croat Med J. 2019 Jun 13;60(3):227-236.
8. Ceserani V, Ferri A, Berenzi A, Benetti A, Ciusani E, Pascucci L, Bazzucchi C, Coccè V, Bonomi A, Pessina A, Ghezzi E, Zeira O, Ceccarelli P, Versari S, Tremolada C, Alessandri G. Angiogenic and anti-inflammatory properties of micro-fragmented fat tissue and its derived mesenchymal stromal cells. Vasc Cell. 2016 Aug 18;8:3.
9. Erickson GR, Gimble JM, Franklin DM, Rice HE, Awad H, Guilak F. Chondrogenic potential of adipose tissue-derived stromal cells in vitro and in vivo. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002 Jan 18;290(2):763-9.
10. Hudetz D, Borić I, Rod E, Jeleč Ž, Radić A, Vrdoljak T, Skelin A, Lauc G, Trbojević-Akmačić I, Plečko M, Polašek O, Primorac D. The Effect of Intra-articular Injection of Autologous Microfragmented Fat Tissue on Proteoglycan Synthesis in Patients with Knee Osteoarthritis. Genes (Basel). 2017 Oct 13;8(10):270.
11. Borić I, Hudetz D, Rod E, Jeleč Ž, Vrdoljak T, Skelin A, Polašek O, Plečko M, Trbojević-Akmačić I, Lauc G, Primorac D. A 24-Month Follow-Up Study of the Effect of Intra-Articular Injection of Autologous Microfragmented Fat Tissue on Proteoglycan Synthesis in Patients with Knee Osteoarthritis. Genes (Basel). 2019 Dec 17;10(12):1051.
12. Kohn MD, Sassoon AA, Fernando ND. Classifications in Brief: Kellgren-Lawrence Classification of Osteoarthritis. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2016 Aug;474(8):1886-93.
13. Heidari N, Noorani A, Slevin M, Cullen A, Stark L, Olgiati S, Zerbi A, Wilson A. Patient-Centered Outcomes of Microfragmented Adipose Tissue Treatments of Knee Osteoarthritis: An Observational, Intention-to-Treat Study at Twelve Months. Stem Cells Int. 2020 Aug 4;2020:8881405.
14. Russo A, Condello V, Madonna V, Guerriero M, Zorzi C. Autologous and micro-fragmented adipose tissue for the treatment of diffuse degenerative knee osteoarthritis. J Exp Orthop. 2017 Oct 3;4(1):33.
15. Cattaneo G, De Caro A, Napoli F, Chiapale D, Trada P, Camera A. Micro-fragmented adipose tissue injection associated with arthroscopic procedures in patients with symptomatic knee osteoarthritis. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2018 May 30;19(1):176.
16. Schiavone Panni A, Vasso M, Braile A, Toro G, De Cicco A, Viggiano D, Lepore F. Preliminary results of autologous adipose-derived stem cells in early knee osteoarthritis: identification of a subpopulation with greater response. Int Orthop. 2019 Jan;43(1):7-13.
17. Bisicchia S, Bernardi G, Pagnotta SM, Tudisco C. Micro-fragmented stromal-vascular fraction plus microfractures provides better clinical results than microfractures alone in symptomatic focal chondral lesions of the knee. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2020 Jun;28(6):1876-1884.
18. Dall'Oca C, Breda S, Elena N, Valentini R, Samaila EM, Magnan B. Mesenchymal Stem Cells injection in hip osteoarthritis: preliminary results. Acta Biomed. 2019 Jan 10;90(1-S):75-80.
19. Vinet-Jones H, F Darr K. Clinical use of autologous micro-fragmented fat progressively restores pain and function in shoulder osteoarthritis. Regen Med. 2020 Dec 4. doi: 10.2217/rme-2020-0069. Epub ahead of print.
20. Malanga GA, Chirichella PS, Hogaboom NS, Capella T. Clinical evaluation of micro-fragmented adipose tissue as a treatment option for patients with meniscus tears with osteoarthritis: a prospective pilot study. Int Orthop. 2020 Oct 7. doi: 10.1007/s00264-020-04835-z.
21. D'Ambrosi R, Indino C, Maccario C, Manzi L, Usuelli FG. Autologous Microfractured and Purified Adipose Tissue for Arthroscopic Management of Osteochondral Lesions of the Talus. J Vis Exp. 2018 Jan 23;(131):56395.