Main Article Content
Mindfulness, Yoga, Osteopathy, Prenatal Education, Pregnancy
Background and aim: The medicalisation of birth pathway may negatively impact on women’s empowerment, enhancing distress even in cases of healthy pregnancies. We have built a program which is comprised of Mindfulness, Yoga, Nutrition, development & Counselling, Coaching, antenatal classes, and Osteopathic treatment (MYNd&CO).
Methods: This study is a randomized controlled trial involving low-risk pregnant women. They will be randomized to the experimental (MYNd&CO intervention plus standard care) or control group (standard care). The primary (general health and wellbeing, maternal distress) and secondary outcome measures (urinary incontinence, sexual problems, and physical wellbeing) will be assessed via questionnaires at baseline and 6 months after childbirth. The independent-samples t-test and Chi-square will be used to detect changes in the outcomes between intervention and control group.
Discussion: The trial is expected to increase knowledge about the effectiveness of a holistic approach in low-risk pregnant women, in terms of obstetrical and psychophysiological outcomes.
2. Shaw JC. The medicalization of birth and midwifery as resistance. Health Care Women Int 2013; 34(6): 522-36.
3. World Health Organization. WHO recommendations on antenatal care for a positive pregnancy experience. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2016.
4. Lauria L, Lamberti A, Buoncristiano M, Bonciani M, Andreozzi S (Ed.). Percorso nascita: promozione e valutazione della qualità di modelli operativi. Le indagini del 2008-2009 e del 2010-2011. Roma: Istituto Superiore di Sanità; 2012. (Rapporti ISTISAN 12/39).
5. Ministero della Salute. Certificato di assistenza al parto (CeDAP). Analisi dell’evento nascita - Anno 2016. Roma: Attività Editoriali Ministero della Salute; 2019.
6. Miller S, Abalos E, Chamillard M, et al. Beyond too little, too late and too much, too soon: a pathway towards evidence-based, respectful maternity care worldwide. Lancet 2016; 388(10056): 2176-92.
7. Campiotti M, Campi R, Zanetti M, Olivieri P, Faggianelli A, Bonati M. Low-Risk Planned Out-of-Hospital Births: Characteristics and Perinatal Outcomes in Different Italian Birth Settings. Int J Environ Res Public Health 2020; 17(8): 2718.
8. Colais P, Bontempi K, Pinnarelli L, et al. Vaginal birth after caesarean birth in Italy: variations among areas of residence and hospitals. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 2018; 18(1): 383.
9. WHO. 2015. WHO Statement on Caesarean Section Rates. Geneva, Switzerland. Retrieved November 11, 2020, from: https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/161442/WHO_RHR_15.02_eng.pdf?sequence=1
10. Cernigliaro A, Palmeri S, Casuccio A, Scondotto S, Restivo V; In Primis Working Group. Association of the Individual and Context Inequalities on the Breastfeeding: A Study from the Sicily Region. Int J Environ Res Public Health 2019; 16(19): 3514.
11. Lauria L, Spinelli A, Buoncristiano M, Bucciarelli M, Pizzi E. Breastfeeding Prevalence at Time of Vaccination: Results of a Pilot Study in 6 Italian Regions. J Hum Lact 2019; 35(4): 774-81.
12. Colaceci S, Chapin EM, Zambri F, et al. Verba volant, scripta manent: breastfeeding information and health messages provided to parents in the neonatal discharge summary in the Lazio Region, Italy. Ann Ist Super Sanita 2020; 56(2): 142-149.
13. Colaceci S, Zambri F, D'Amore C, De Angelis A, Rasi F, Pucciarelli G, Giusti A. Long-Term Effectiveness of an E-Learning Program in Improving Health Care Professionals' Attitudes and Practices on Breastfeeding: A 1-Year Follow-Up Study. Breastfeed Med. 2020 Apr;15(4):254-260.
14. Fontein-Kuipers Y, Ausems M, Budé L, Van Limbeek E, De Vries R, Nieuwenhuijze M. Factors influencing maternal distress among Dutch women with a healthy pregnancy. Women Birth 2015; 28(3): e36-e43.
15. Daglar G, Nur N, Bilgic D, Kadıoglu M. Affective disorder in pregnancy. KASHED 2015; 2(1): 27–40.
16. Molgora S, Fenaroli V, Saita E. Psychological distress profiles in expectant mothers: What is the association with pregnancy-related and relational variables? J Affect Disord 2020; 262: 83-9.
17. Monk C, Lugo-Candelas C, Trumpff C. Prenatal developmental origins of future psychopathology: mechanisms and pathways. Annu Rev Clin Psychol 2019; 15: 317–44.
18. Aatsinki AK, Keskitalo A, Laitinen V, et al. Maternal prenatal psychological distress and hair cortisol levels associate with infant fecal microbiota composition at 2.5 months of age. Psychoneuroendocrinology 2020; 119: 104754.
19. Pervanidou P, Chrousos GP. Early-life stress: from neuroendocrine mechanisms to stress-related disorders. Horm Res Paediatr 2018; 89: 372-9.
20. Graignic-Philippe R, Dayan J, Chokron S, Jacquet AY, Tordjman S. Effects of prenatal stress on fetal and child development: a critical literature review. Neurosci Biobehav Rev 2014; 43: 137-62.
21. Colaceci S, Corsi E, Berardi F, Coscarella P, Mariotti M, Ramacciati N. Maternal Satisfaction and Birth: a web-based survey. Prof Inferm 2020; 73(3): 181-187.
22. Anderson G, Zega M, D'Agostino F, Rega ML, Colaceci S, Damiani G, Alvaro R, Cocchieri A. Meta-Synthesis of the Needs of Women Cared for by Midwives During Childbirth in Hospitals. J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs. 2021 Jan;50(1):6-19.
23. Chan AW, Tetzlaff JM, Gøtzsche PC, et al. SPIRIT 2013 explanation and elaboration: guidance for protocols of clinical trials. BMJ 2013; 346: e7586.
24. Ware J, Kosinski M, Keller SD. A 12-item short-form health survey: construction of scales and preliminary tests of reliability and validity. Med Care 1996; 34: 220–33.
25. Guo X, Tripp C, Huber NL, et al. Patient reported outcomes and quality of life in Chinese patients with implantable cardioverter defibrillators. Heart Lung 2021; 50(1): 153-158.
26. Huo T, Guo Y, Shenkman E, Muller K. Assessing the reliability of the short form 12 (SF-12) health survey in adults with mental health conditions: a report from the wellness incentive and navigation (WIN) study. Health Qual Life Outcomes 2018; 16: 34.
27. Bohannon RW, Maljanian R, Landes M. Test-retest reliability of short form (SF)-12 component scores of patients with stroke. Int J Rehabil Res 2004; 27: 149–50.
28. Mannocci A, Mipatrini D, D'Egidio V, et al. Health related quality of life and physical activity in prison: a multicenter observational study in Italy. Eur J Public Health 2018; 28(3): 570-6.
29. Hirose M, Tamakoshi K, Takahashi Y, Mizuno T, Yamada A, Kato N. The effects of nausea, vomiting, and social support on health-related quality of life during early pregnancy: A prospective cohort study. J Psychosom Res 2020; 136: 110168.
30. Ryff CD. Happiness is everything, or is it? Explorations on the meaning of psychological well-being. J Pers Soc Psychol 1989; 57: 1069–81.
31. Cox JL, Holden JM, Sagovsky R. Detection of postnatal depression. Development of the 10-item Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale. Br J Psychiatry 1987; 150: 782-6.
32. Clark G. Discussing emotional health in pregnancy: the Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale. Br J Community Nurs 2000; 5(2): 91-8.
33. Spielberger CD, Gorsuch RL, Lushene R, Vagg PR, Jacobs GA. Manual for the State-Trait Anxiety Inventory. Palo Alto, CA: Consulting Psychologists Press; 1983.
34. Millon T, Grossman S, Millon C. MCMI-IV: Millon Clinical Multiaxial Inventory Manual. 1 ed. Bloomington, MN: NCS Pearson, Inc; 2015.
35. Taylor A, Atkins R, Kumar R, Adams D, Glover V. A new mother-to-infant bonding scale: links with early maternal mood. Arch Womens Ment Health 2005; 8(1): 45-51.
36. Timmermans L, Falez F, Mélot C, Wespes E. Validation of use of the International Consultation on Incontinence Questionnaire-Urinary Incontinence-Short Form (ICIQ-UI-SF) for impairment rating: a transversal retrospective study of 120 patients. Neurourol Urodyn 2013; 32(7): 974-9.
37. Rosen R, Brown C, Heiman J, et al. The Female Sexual Function Index (FSFI): a multidimensional self-report instrument for the assessment of female sexual function. J Sex Marital Ther 2000; 26(2): 191-208.
38. Fairbank JC, Pynsent PB. The Oswestry Disability Index. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 2000; 25(22): 2940-52.
39. Stuge B, Garratt A, Krogstad Jenssen H, Grotle M. The pelvic girdle questionnaire: a condition-specific instrument for assessing activity limitations and symptoms in people with pelvic girdle pain. Phys Ther 2011; 91(7): 1096-108.
40. van de Pol G, de Leeuw JR, van Brummen HJ, Bruinse HW, Heintz AP, van der Vaart CH. The Pregnancy Mobility Index: a mobility scale during and after pregnancy. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 2006; 85(7): 786-91.
41. Chiarotto A, Maxwell LJ, Ostelo RW, Boers M, Tugwell P, Terwee CB. Measurement Properties of Visual Analogue Scale, Numeric Rating Scale, and Pain Severity Subscale of the Brief Pain Inventory in Patients With Low Back Pain: A Systematic Review. J Pain 2019; 20(3): 245-63.
42. Bardacke N. Mindful birthing: Training the mind, body, and heart for childbirth and beyond. New York: HarperOne; 2012.
43. Vleeming A, Albert HB, Ostgaard HC, Sturesson B, Stuge B. European guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of pelvic girdle pain. Eur Spine J 2008; 17(6): 794-819.
44. Apolone G, Mosconi P, Quattrociocchi L, Gianicolo EAL, Groth N, Ware JE. Questionario sullo stato di salute sf12. Versione italiana 2001. Milano: Guerini e associati; 2001.
45. Giusti A, Maggini M, Colaceci S. The burden of chronic diseases across Europe: what policies and programs to address diabetes? A SWOT analysis. Health Res Policy Syst. 2020 Jan 29;18(1):12. doi: 10.1186/s12961-019-0523-1. Erratum in: Health Res Policy Syst. 2020 Mar 12;18(1):31.
46. Saravanan P., Diabetes in Pregnancy Working Group. Maternal Medicine Clinical Study Group. Royal College of Obstetricians Gestational diabetes: Opportunities for improving maternal and child health. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2020;8:793–800. doi: 10.1016/S2213-8587(20)30161-3.