Main Article Content
vascular graft, hip, arthroplasty, vascular, complications
Vascular complications during and after total hip replacement are relatively uncommon despite the close relationship between the involved structures.
Previous surgical procedure of arterial reconstruction or substitution may be at higher risk of damage due to the modification in the anatomical landmarks or to the mechanical properties of the grafts different from native vessels.
In literature few cases of graft occlusion or failure are reported during or soon after a total hip replacement. The aim of this review is to report them highlighting common features and risk factors
2. Trousdale RT, Donnelly RS, Hallett JW. Thrombosis of an aortobifemoral bypass graft after total hip arthroplasty. The Journal of arthroplasty. 1999;14(3):386-90.
3. Woo EY, Zabinski SJ, Milner R, Fairman RM. Supported endograft limb occlusion likely occurring secondary to hip arthroplasty. J Endovasc Ther. 2003;10(3):664-7.
4. Willis-Owen CA, Nishiwaki T, Spriggins AJ. Sciatic palsy after total hip arthroplasty associated with vascular graft occlusion. Hip Int. 2011;21(1):118-21.
5. Ishmael CR, Galey SA, Gatto JD, Zeegen EN. Occlusion of an Aortobifemoral Graft after Revision Total Hip Arthroplasty. Arthroplast Today. 2021;8:63-8.
6. Saez Martinez D, Vaquero Martin J, Esparragoz Cabrera L, Garcia Rodriguez D. Arterial complications following total hip arthroplasty in a patient with a femoro-femoral bypass. Rev esp cir ortop traumatol. 2009;53(1):45-7.
7. Park K-S, Yoon T-R, Seol Y-J. Acute Occlusion of a Femoro-Popliteal Bypass Graft after Primary Cementless Total Hip Arthroplasty. J Korean Orthop Assoc. 2013(48):124-29.
8. Worsham J, Bentley K, Cordon J, Brinkis E. Acute occlusion of aortobifemoral bypass graft after revision total hip arthroplasty. Int J Case Rep Images. 2015;6(12):771-76.
9. Brookes-Fazakerley SD, Thorpe P, Chan C, Jackson GE. Contralateral acute lower limb ischaemia following total hip replacement in a patient with an endovascular abdominal aortic aneurysm repair. J Surg Case Rep. 2015;2015(3).
10. Nachbur B, Meyer RP, Verkkala K, Zurcher R. The mechanisms of severe arterial injury in surgery of the hip joint. Clinical orthopaedics and related research. 1979(141):122-33.
11. Abularrage CJ, Weiswasser JM, Dezee KJ, Slidell MB, Henderson WG, Sidawy AN. Predictors of lower extremity arterial injury after total knee or total hip arthroplasty. J Vasc Surg. 2008;47(4):803-7; discussion 7-8.
12. Calligaro KD, Dougherty MJ, Ryan S, Booth RE. Acute arterial complications associated with total hip and knee arthroplasty. J Vasc Surg. 2003;38(6):1170-7.
13. Barrack RL, Butler RA. Avoidance and management of neurovascular injuries in total hip arthroplasty. Instr Course Lect. 2003;52:267-74.
14. Alshameeri Z, Bajekal R, Varty K, Khanduja V. Iatrogenic vascular injuries during arthroplasty of the hip. The bone & joint journal. 2015;97-B(11):1447-55.
15. Shubert D, Madoff S, Milillo R, Nandi S. Neurovascular structure proximity to acetabular retractors in total hip arthroplasty. The Journal of arthroplasty. 2015;30(1):145-8.
16. Collins TC, Suarez-Almazor M, Bush RL, Petersen NJ. Gender and peripheral arterial disease. J Am Board Fam Med. 2006;19(2):132-40.
17. Srikanth VK, Fryer JL, Zhai G, Winzenberg TM, Hosmer D, Jones G. A meta-analysis of sex differences prevalence, incidence and severity of osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis and cartilage. 2005;13(9):769-81.
18. Hussain MA, Lindsay TF, Mamdani M, Wang X, Verma S, Al-Omran M. Sex differences in the outcomes of peripheral arterial disease: a population-based cohort study. CMAJ Open. 2016;4(1):E124-31.
19. Al-Zoubi NA, Shatnawi NJ. Gender variation in symptomatic peripheral arterial occlusive disease among type-2 diabetic patients. SAGE Open Med. 2019;7:2050312119840198.
20. Reiley MA, Bond D, Branick RI, Wilson EH. Vascular complications following total hip arthroplasty. A review of the literature and a report of two cases. Clinical orthopaedics and related research. 1984(186):23-8.
21. Reilingh ML, Hartemink KJ, Hoksbergen AW, Saouti R. Occlusion of the common femoral artery by cement after total hip arthroplasty: a case report. J Med Case Rep. 2009;3:86.
22. Lazarides MK, Arvanitis DP, Dayantas JN. Iatrogenic arterial trauma associated with hip joint surgery: an overview. Eur J Vasc Surg. 1991;5(5):549-56.