When 3D echocardiography truly makes the difference: a case report of mitral annular ring dehiscence.
Main Article Content
3D echocardiography, Three dimensional transesophageal echocardiography Multi-modality Imaging and adult congenital heart disease, mitral regurgitation, cardiac surgery, computed tomography
Real time 3D echocardiography has an established incremental diagnostic value over 2D imaging, especially during transesophageal evaluation of native and prosthetic heart valves.
A 66 years old male patient, with an history of previous cardiac surgery for mitral annuloplasty and recurrent fever, came to the attention of our echo lab with an indication for transesophageal echocardiography after previous inconclusive transthoracic echocardiograms.
Real time 3D echocardiography and 3D color doppler imaging resulted of outmost importance to clarify the presence of annular ring dehiscence, previously not well defined from 2D echocardiography imaging.
2. MacArthur JW, Boyd J. The tip of the iceberg: Evaluating the mechanism behind dehiscence of mitral annuloplasty rings J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2018 Jan;155(1):140-141. doi: 10.1016/j.jtcvs.2017.08.099. Epub 2017 Sep 5. PMID: 28947191.
3. Lancellotti P, Pibarot P, Chambers J, et al. Recommendations for the imaging assessment of prosthetic heart valves: a report from the European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging endorsed by the Chinese Society of Echocardiography, the Inter-American Society of Echocardiography, and the Brazilian Department of Cardiovascular Imaging Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2016 Jun;17(6):589-90. doi: 10.1093/ehjci/jew025. Epub 2016 May 3. PMID: 27143783.
4. Habib G, Lancellotti P, Antunes MJ, et al. ESC Scientific Document Group. 2015 ESC Guidelines for the management of infective endocarditis: The Task Force for the Management of Infective Endocarditis of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Endorsed by: European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery (EACTS), the European Association of Nuclear Medicine (EANM) Eur Heart J. 2015 Nov 21;36(44):3075-3128. doi: 10.1093/eurheartj/ehv319. Epub 2015 Aug 29. PMID: 26320109.
5. Lang RM, Badano LP, Tsang W, et al. American Society of Echocardiography; European Association of Echocardiography. EAE/ASE recommendations for image acquisition and display using three-dimensional echocardiography Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2012 Jan;13(1):1-46. doi: 10.1093/ehjci/jer316. PMID: 22275509.
6. Yaranov DM, Sattiraju S. 3D transoesophageal echocardiography in evaluation of mitral valve annuloplasty ring dehiscence Eur Heart J Case Rep. 2018 Mar 1;2(1):yty026. doi: 10.1093/ehjcr/yty026. PMID: 31020105; PMCID: PMC6426038.