Italian validation of the DEMQOL-PROXY: Exploratory Factor Analysis, Convergent and Divergent Validity Exploratory Factor Analysis, Convergent and Divergent Validity of Italian version of the DEMQOL-PROXY
Main Article Content
Quality of Life, Dementia, Exploratory Factor Analysis, Convergent Validity, Divergent Validity
Background and aim of the work. we present in this paper a complete Italian validation version. We show some psychometric properties of the Italian version of the DEMQOL-PROXY: Structural validity (by use Exploratory Factor Analysis), convergent validity and divergent validity in Italian language
Method.We enrolled a sample of 182 caregivers of people with mild to moderate Dementia. In particular, we collected 90 questionnaires of professional caregivers and 92 questionnaires of family caregivers. We used Exploratory Factor Analysis (Varimax rotation), to identify the saturation of items on the relevant factors.The internal consistency of the instrument was evaluated by using the Cronbach Alpha coefficient. Finally, referring to the Validity of convergent and Divergent validity, we used Spearman’s correlation coefficient by comparing the various instruments of the study. Results. Our result shows that the variance explained by 4 factors corresponds to almost 51% of the total variance. Factors extracted in our Italian version are: Cognition;Negative and Positive emotion; Daily activity and Membership. Conclusion. The Italian version of the DEMQOL-PROXY point out very good psychometric properties: factors extracted are similar to the original version and convergent and divergent validity show good proprieties. We consider this paper as a complete Italian Validation.
2. Scheltens P, Blennow K, Breteler MMB, de Strooper B, Frisoni GB, Salloway S, et al. Alzheimer’s disease. Lancet. 2016 Jul 30;388(10043):505-17.
3. Ministero della Salute. Linee di indirizzo Nazionali sui Percorsi Diagnostico Terapeutici Assistenziali per le demenze [National guidelines on Diagnostic Therapeutic Assistance Pathways for dementias]. 2017
4. Rose KM, Williams IC, Anderson JG, Geldmacher DS. Development and validation of the family quality of life in dementia scale. Gerontologist. 2021;61(6):E260–8.
5. Martyr A, Nelis SM, Quinn C, Wu YT, Lamont RA, Henderson C, et al. Living well with dementia: A systematic review and correlational meta-analysis of factors associated with quality of life, well-being and life satisfaction in people with dementia. Psychol Med. 2018;48(13):2130-2139
6. McPherson S, Oute J, Speed E. Quality-of-life measurement in depression trials: A consumerist relic. Health (London). 2022;136345932210748.
7. Miraglia Raineri A, Bonfiglioli C, Camaiani F, Sarli L, Artioli G. Italian pilot version of demoql-proxy: Content and face validity: A methodological bridge for a future Italian validation. Acta Biomed. 2020;91(6-S):100–5.
8. World Health Organization (WHO). Draft Programme on Mental WHOQOL User Manual. 1998.
9. Bowling A, Rowe G, Adams S, Sands P, Samsi K, Crane M, et al. Quality of life in dementia: A systematically conducted narrative review of dementia-specific measurement scales. Aging Ment Health. 2015;19(1):13-31.
10. Harrison JK, Noel-Storr AH, Demeyere N, Reynish EL, Quinn TJ. Outcomes measures in a decade of dementia and mild cognitive impairment trials. Alzheimer’s Res Ther. 2016;8(1):1–10.
11. Cartabellotta A, Eleopra R, Quintana S, Pingani L, Ferrarese C, Starace F, et al. Linee guida per la diagnosi, il trattamento e il supporto dei pazienti affetti da demenza [Guidelines for the diagnosis, treatment and support of patients with dementia]. Evidence. 2018;10(10):e1000190
12. Bianchetti A, Cornali C, Ranieri P, Trabucchi M. Quality of life in patients with mild dementia. Validation of the Italian version of the quality of life Alzheimer’s disease (QoL-AD) Scale. Journal of Gerontology and Geriatrics. 2017;65:137-143.
13. Gomiero T, Weger E, Marangoni A, Mantesso U, De Bastiani E, De Vreese LP, et al. Misurare la qualità della vita nella Disabilità Intellettiva con demenza: una valutazione psicometrica della versione italiana della scala Quality of Life in Latestage Dementia (QUALID) [Measuring the quality of life in Intellectual Disability with dementia: a psychometric assessment of the Italian version of the Quality of Life scale in Latestage Dementia (QUALID)]. J Alzheimrs Dis. 2011;1(2):2-5
14. Smith SC, Lamping DL, Banerjee S, Harwood R, Foley B, Smith P, et al. Measurement of health-related quality of life for people with dementia: Development of a new instrument (DEMQOL) and an evaluation of current methodology. Health Technology Assessment. Health Technol Asses. 2005;9(10):1-93
15. Kuo MCC, Au KT, Li YS, Siu KC, Wong YK, Chiu ATS, et al. Validation of the Chinese version of dementia quality of life measure-proxy in care home residents with dementia. East Asian Arch Psychiatry. 2021;31(1):9–12.
16. Lucas-Carrasco R, Lamping DL, Banerjee S, Rejas J, Smith SC, Gómez-Benito J. Validation of the Spanish version of the DEMQOL system. Int Psychogeriatrics [Validation of the Spanish version of the DEMQOL system]. 2010;22(4):589–97.
17. Niikawa H, Kawano Y, Yamanaka K, Okamura T, Inagaki H, Ito K, et al. Reliability and validity of the Japanese version of a self-report (DEMQOL) and carer proxy (DEMQOL-PROXY) measure of health-related quality of life in people with dementia. Geriatr Gerontol Int. 2019;19(6):487–91.
18. Schwab CGG, Dichter MN, Berwig M. Item distribution, internal consistency, and structural validity of the German version of the DEMQOL and DEMQOL-proxy. BMC Geriatr. 2018;18(1).
19. Yang F, Dawes P, Leroi I, Gannon B. Measurement tools of resource use and quality of life in clinical trials for dementia or cognitive impairment interventions: A systematically conducted narrative review. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2018;33(2):e166-e176.
20. Bonfigliuoli C, Miraglia Raineri A, Foa’ C, Guizzardi A, Catellani A, Manfredini D, et al. A protocol for Italian validation of DEMQoL-Proxy Scale: assessing the Quality of Life of people with moderate or mild dementia. Acta Biomed. 2021;92(S2):e2021040.
21 Novak M, Guest C. Application of a multidimensional caregiver burden inventory
Gerontologist 1989, 29, 798-803.
22 Marvardi M, Mattioli P, Spazzafumo L, Mastriforti R, Rinaldi P, Polidori MC, et al. The
Caregiver Burden Inventory in evaluating the burden of caregivers of elderly demented
patients: results from a multicenter study. Aging Clin Exp Res. 2005;17: 46–53.