Main Article Content
allergic rhinoconjunctivitis, inflammation, immune response, nutraceuticals
Allergic rhinoconjunctivitis (AR) is the most common IgE-mediated disease. A type2 immune response is involved in AR pathogenesis. Allergic inflammation is characterized by eosinophilic infiltrate and mediators release. AR treatment is usually based on medication prescription, including antihistamines and intranasal corticosteroids. However, medications may be prescribed for long periods and sometimes may be scarcely effective, thus aggressive strategy should be used. Therefore, complementary medicine is becoming attractive for patients at present. Nutraceuticals represent interesting therapeutic options in clinical practice. In this regard, a new compound has been designed containing Vitamin D3, Perilla extract, and quercetin.
2) Lambrecht BN, Hammad H. The immunology of the allergy epidemic and the hygiene hypothesis. Nat Immunol. 2017 Sep 19;18(10):1076-1083
3) Palomares O, Akdis M, Martín-Fontecha M, Akdis CA. Mechanisms of immune regulation in allergic diseases: the role of regulatory T and B cells. Immunol Rev. 2017 Jul;278(1):219-236
4) Alessandri C, Ferrara R, Bernardi ML, Zennaro D, Tuppo L, Giangrieco I, Tamburrini M, Mari A, Ciardiello MA. Diagnosing allergic sensitizations in the third millennium: why clinicians should know allergen molecule structures. Clin Transl Allergy. 2017 Jul 17;7:21
5) Cosmi L, Liotta F, Maggi L, Annunziato F. Role of Type 2 Innate Lymphoid Cells in Allergic Diseases. Curr Allergy Asthma Rep. 2017 Sep 11;17(10):66
6) Sverrild A, Kiilerich P, Brejnrod A, Pedersen R, Porsbjerg C, Bergqvist A, Erjefält JS, Kristiansen K, Backer V. Eosinophilic airway inflammation in asthmatic patients is associated with an altered airway microbiome. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2017 Aug;140(2):407-417
7) Ciprandi, G, Klersy C, Cirillo I, Marseglia GL. Quality of Life in Allergic Rhinitis: relationship with clinical, immunological, and functional aspects. Clin Exp Allergy 2007; 37(10):1528-35
8) Ciprandi G, Caimmi D, Miraglia del Giudice M, La Rosa M, Salpietro C, Marseglia GL. Recent developments in united airways disease. Allergy Asthma Immunol Res 2012;4:171-7
9) Cirillo I, Marseglia GL, Klersy C, Ciprandi G Allergic patients have more numerous and prolonged respiratory infections than non-allergic subjects. Allergy 2007;62(9):1087-90
10) Marseglia GL, Poddighe D, Caimmi D, Ciprandi G. Role of Adenoids and Adenoiditis in children with Allergy and Otitis Media. Curr Allergy Asthma Rep 2009;9:460-4
11) Ciprandi G, Tosca MA, Marseglia GL, Klersy C. Relationships between allergic inflammation and nasal airflow in children with seasonal allergic rhinitis. Annals Allergy Asthma Immunol 2005;94:258-61
12) Reitsma S, Subramaniam S, Fokkens WJ, Wang DY. Recent Developments and Highlights in rhinitis and allergen immunotherapy. Allergy. 2018 Sep 27. doi: 10.1111/all.13617.
13) de Vries TW, van Hunsel F. Adverse drug reactions of systemic antihistamines in children in the Netherlands. Arch Dis Child. 2016;101(10):968-70.
14) Mainardi T, Kapoor S, Bielory L. Complementary and alternative medicine: Herbs, phytochemicals and vitamins and their immunologic effects. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2009;123:283-94
15) El-Qutob López D. New methods of prevention and treatment of allergic diseases. Recent Pat Inflamm Allergy Drug Discov. 2012;6(1):46-64
16) Derebery MJ, Dicpinigaitis PV. New horizons: Current and potential future self-treatments for acute upper respiratory tract conditions. Postgrad Med. 2013;125(1):82-96