Main Article Content
body filler, rheology, body contouring, minimally invasive
Introduction: At the beginning of 21st century, large particle hyaluronic acid body fillers were developed for non-surgical body reshaping, but they were associated with complications such as hardening and foreign body reaction. To address this issue, small particle, low G’ hyaluronic acid fillers were introduced into the market. This study aims to retrospectively evaluate the safety and efficacy of these hyaluronic acid fillers for body reshaping procedures.
Material and Methods: This retrospective observational was conducted on 21 consecutive patients treated with low G’ hyaluronic acid body fillers for different body contouring procedures, between March and June 2022. Treatment efficacy was assessed using the BODY-Q scale, comparing results obtained preoperatively and minimum 6 months post-treatment.
Results: The most commonly performed procedures were buttock and calf reshaping. The mean number of vials used for these treatments were 30.25 and 11.5, respectively. Six months after treatment a significant increase in the mean BODY-Q score was observed (52 preop versus 70.8 postop), indicating the treatment efficacy in achieving the desired aesthetic result. No major complications were reported in the treated cohort. No delayed granulomas were observed.
Conclusion: The results of this study suggests that small particles, low G’, hyaluronic acid fillers for body reshaping represents a safe and effective procedure, leading to favorable outcomes. The absence of major complications in the study cohort further supports the safety profile of this recently introduced treatment device. This preliminary experience can contribute to the understanding of the benefits and safety of low G’, small particle, hyaluronic acid fillers
2. van der Lei B. Macrolane: a safe alternative for breast augmentation? J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2011; 64(6):729-30.
3. Inglefield C. Early clinical experience of hyaluronic acid gel for breast enhancement. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2011; 64(6):722-9.
4. McCleave MJ. Is breast augmentation using hyaluronic acid safe? Aesthetic Plast Surg. 2010; 34(1):65-8.
5. Chaput B, Eburdery H, Crouzet C, Grolleau JL, Chavoin JP, Garrido I. Macrolane®: a se-vere case of calf cellulitis after modeling injection. Ann Chir Plast Esthet. 2012; 57(1):83-6.
6. Santorelli A, Cerullo F, Salti G, Avvedimento S. Gluteal augmentation with hyaluronic ac-id filler: a retrospective analysis using BODY-Q scale. Aesthetic Plast Surg. 2023; 47(3):1175-1181.
7. Salti G, Rauso R. Facial rejuvenation with fillers: the dual plane technique. J Cutan Aes-thet Surg. 2015; 8(3):127-33.
8. Pierre S, Liew S, Bernardin A. Basics of dermal filler rheology. Dermatol Surg. 2015; 41 Suppl 1:S120–S126.
9. Klassen AF, Cano SJ, Alderman A, et al. The BODY-Q: a patient-reported outcome in-strument for weight loss and body contouring treatments. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2016; 4(4):e679.
10. Chaput B, De bonnecaze G, Tristant H, Garrido I, Grolleau JL, Chavoin JP. Macrolane®, a too premature indication in breast augmentation. Focusing on current knowledge of the product. Ann Chir Plast Esthet. 2011; 56(3):171-9.
11. De Meyere B, Mir-Mir S, Peñas J, Camenisch CC, Hedén P. Stabilized hyaluronic acid gel for volume restoration and contouring of the buttocks: 24-months efficacy and safety. Aes-thetic Plast Surg. 2014; 38(2):404-412.
12. Camenisch CC, Tengvar M, Hedén P. Macrolane for volume restoration and contouring of the buttocks: magnetic resonance imaging study on location and degradation: Plast Recon-str Surg. 2013; 132(4):522e-529e.
13. Lourenco LM, de Noronha MGO, Colla LA, Izzo TR, Sigrist R, Braz A. LL body contour technique-a new way of gluteal contouring and augmentation with hyaluronic acid filer. J Cosmet Dermatol. 2022; 21(5):1967-1972.
14. Atiyeh B, Ghieh F, Oneisi A. Safety and Efficiency of Minimally Invasive Buttock Aug-mentation: A Review. Aesthetic Plast Surg. 2023; 47(1):245-259.
15. Cerqua A, Angelucci F. Macrolane (large particle biphasic hyaluronic acid) filler injection for correction of defect contour after liposuction. J Cosmet Laser Ther 2013; 15(4):228-230.