Main Article Content
arterial catheter embolization, liver hemorrhage, kidney hemorrhage, interventional radiology, CT angiography
Background and aim: Intraabdominal hemorrhage secondary to liver and kidney injury is a major cause of morbidity and mortality. Endovascular arterial embolization is an established interventional radiology technique used to treat active bleeding, and its role in managing abdominal hemorrhages is growing, given the increasing trend for conservative treatment. Our study aims to retrospectively evaluate the technical and clinical results and the possible complications of arterial embolization procedures performed in emergency, in post-traumatic, iatrogenic, and pathological hepatic and renal bleedings. Methods: We performed a ten-year, single-center retrospective survey (from January 2010 to December 2019) of all patients treated in emergency by intra-arterial embolization of liver and kidney bleeding. Preliminary CT angiography studies were evaluated, as well as the angiographic findings. Materials used, procedural data, and clinical outcomes, including complications, were recorded. Results: The diagnostic angiography showed a single source of bleeding in 20 cases (66.7%), two bleeding vessels in 4 cases (13.3%), and multiple hemorrhagic sources in 6 cases (20%). All bleeding sources were successfully embolized; in 12 patients (40%), complete embolization was achieved with coils and 18 patients (60%) with hemostatic sponges. In one case, a second embolization procedure was performed for the persistence of hemodynamic instability. No major post-procedural complications were recorded. The mean procedure duration was 65.1 minutes. Conclusions: Based on our experience and literature data, the treatment of endovascular embolization in acute abdominal bleeding of hepatic and renal origin represents the treatment of choice, as it can provide complete therapeutic success in hemodynamically stable patients. (www.actabiomedica.it)
2. Pieri S, Agresti P, Buquicchio GL, Di Giampietro I, Trinci M, Miele V. Endovascular management of the rectus muscle hematoma. Radiol Med 2015; 120: 951-8.
3. Miele V, Di Giampietro I, Diagnostic Imaging in Emergency, Salute e Società2014, pp. 127-38.
4. Swift C, Garner JP. Non-operative management of liver trauma. J R Army Med Corps 2012; 158: 85-95.
5. Schembari E, Sofia M, Latteri S, et al. Blunt liver trauma: effectiveness and evolution of non-operative management (NOM) in 145 consecutive cases. Updates Surg 2020; 72: 1065-71.
6. Li M, Yu WK, Wang XB, Ji W, Li JS, Li N. Non-operative management of isolated liver trauma. Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int 2014; 13: 545-50.
7. Carrillo EH, Spain DA, Wohltmann CD, et al. Interventional techniques are useful adjuncts in nonoperative management of hepatic injuries. J Trauma 1999; 46: 619-22; discussion 22-4.
8. Coppola M, Borzelli A, Pane F, Giurazza F, Corvino F, Silvestre M. Spleen injuries and their therapeutic approach: when and how to take advantage of interventional radiologists. J Radiol Rev 2021; 8: 4-8.
9. Giordano AV, Arrigoni F, Bruno F, et al. Interventional Radiology Management of a Ruptured Lumbar Artery Pseudoaneurysm after Cryoablation and Vertebroplasty of a Lumbar Metastasis. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 2017; 40: 776-79.
10. Cazzato RL, Arrigoni F, Boatta E, et al. Percutaneous management of bone metastases: state of the art, interventional strategies and joint position statement of the Italian College of MSK Radiology (ICoMSKR) and the Italian College of Interventional Radiology (ICIR). Radiol Med 2019; 124: 34-49.
11. Bruno F, Arrigoni F, Palumbo P, et al. New advances in MRI diagnosis of degenerative osteoarthropathy of the peripheral joints. Radiol Med 2019; 124: 1121-27.
12. Barile A, Quarchioni S, Bruno F, et al. Interventional radiology of the thyroid gland: critical review and state of the art. Gland Surg 2018; 7: 132-46.
13. Arrigoni F, Gregori L, Zugaro L, Barile A, Masciocchi C. MRgFUS in the treatment of MSK lesions: A review based on the experience of the University of L’Aquila, Italy. Translational Cancer Research 2014; 3: 442-48.
14. Arrigoni F, Bruno F, Zugaro L, et al. Developments in the management of bone metastases with interventional radiology. Acta Biomed 2018; 89: 166-74.
15. Candita G, Marcucci A, Boccaccio C, Caramella I. Embolization of hemorrhagic lymphangioleiomyomatotis-associated angiomyolipoma. J Radiol Rev 2021; 47-50.
16. Borzelli A, Giurazza F, Corvino F, De Magistris G, Cavaglià E, Pane F. Successful endovascular treatment of massive hematuria due to ureteroarterial fistula secondary to ureterocutaneostomy. J Radiol Rev 2021; 8: 51-54.
17. Belfiore G, Belfiore MP, Reginelli A, et al. Concurrent chemotherapy alone versus irreversible electroporation followed by chemotherapy on survival in patients with locally advanced pancreatic cancer. Med Oncol 2017; 34: 38.
18. Zappia M, Reginelli A, Russo A, et al. Long head of the biceps tendon and rotator interval. Musculoskelet Surg 2013; 97 Suppl 2: S99-108.
19. Masciocchi C, Arrigoni F, Ferrari F, et al. Uterine fibroid therapy using interventional radiology mini-invasive treatments: current perspective. Med Oncol 2017; 34: 52.
20. Setacci C, Galzerano G, Setacci F, Mele M, Guerrini S, De Donato G. New tools in endovascular surgery. J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino) 2016; 57: 747-49.
21. Bicci E, Cozzi D, Ferrari R, Grazzini G, Pradella S, Miele V. Pancreatic neuroendocrine tumours: spectrum of imaging findings. Gland Surg 2020; 9: 2215-24.
22. Wang HL, Xu CY, Wang HH, Xu W. Emergency Transcatheter Arterial Embolization for Acute Renal Hemorrhage. Medicine (Baltimore) 2015; 94: e1667.
23. Ohtsuka Y, Iwasaki K, Okazumi S, et al. Management of blunt hepatic injury in children: usefulness of emergency transcatheter arterial embolization. Pediatr Surg Int 2003; 19: 29-34.
24. Wang C, Mao Q, Tan F, Shen B. Superselective renal artery embolization in the treatment of renal hemorrhage. Ir J Med Sci 2014; 183: 59-63.
25. Wagner WH, Lundell CJ, Donovan AJ. Percutaneous angiographic embolization for hepatic arterial hemorrhage. Arch Surg 1985; 120: 1241-9.
26. Yitzhak A, Shaked G, Lupu L, Mizrahi S, Kluger Y. [Selective embolization of hepatic arteries--an additional precaution to control hemorrhage in the management of severe liver trauma]. Harefuah 2001; 140: 193-6, 288.
27. Sinzato J, Satoh N, Arai Y, Nagata Y, Takahashi M. [Emergency hepatic artery embolization--treatment of intraperitoneal hemorrhage due to hepatoma and traumatic liver laceration]. Rinsho Hoshasen 1985; 30: 1537-42.
28. Pane F, Borzelli A, Coppola M, et al. Acute active bleedings after pelvic trauma: imaging and endovascular treatment. J Radiol Rev 2020; 7: 367-75.
29. Giurazza F, Corvino F, Borzelli A, et al. Role of interventional radiology in managing gastrointestinal bleedings. J Radiol Rev 2020; 7: 173-84.
30. Demaria P, Cerutti A, Negri A, et al. A case of embolization of seminal vesicle lesion bleeding. J Radiol Rev 2020; 7: 60-6.
31. Buffa V, Solazzo A, D'Auria V, et al. Dual-source dual-energy CT: dose reduction after endovascular abdominal aortic aneurysm repair. Radiol Med 2014; 119: 934-41.
32. De Cecco CN, Buffa V, Fedeli S, et al. Preliminary experience with abdominal dual-energy CT (DECT): true versus virtual nonenhanced images of the liver. Radiol Med 2010; 115: 1258-66.
33. Zoccali C, Rossi B, Zoccali G, et al. A new technique for biopsy of soft tissue neoplasms: a preliminary experience using MRI to evaluate bleeding. Minerva Med 2015; 106: 117-20.
34. Di Cesare E, Gennarelli A, Di Sibio A, et al. Image quality and radiation dose of single heartbeat 640-slice coronary CT angiography: a comparison between patients with chronic atrial fibrillation and subjects in normal sinus rhythm by propensity analysis. Eur J Radiol 2015; 84: 631-6.
35. D'Orazio F, Splendiani A, Gallucci M. 320-Row Detector Dynamic 4D-CTA for the Assessment of Brain and Spinal Cord Vascular Shunting Malformations. A Technical Note. Neuroradiol J 2014; 27: 710-7.
36. Arrigoni F, Barile A, Zugaro L, et al. CT-guided radiofrequency ablation of spinal osteoblastoma: treatment and long-term follow-up. Int J Hyperthermia 2018; 34: 321-27.
37. Agostini A, Borgheresi A, Mari A, et al. Dual-energy CT: theoretical principles and clinical applications. Radiol Med 2019; 124: 1281-95.
38. Silvestri E, Barile A, Albano D, et al. Interventional therapeutic procedures in the musculoskeletal system: an Italian Survey by the Italian College of Musculoskeletal Radiology. Radiol Med 2018; 123: 314-21.
39. Scialpi M, Palumbo B, Pierotti L, et al. Detection and characterization of focal liver lesions by split-bolus multidetector-row CT: diagnostic accuracy and radiation dose in oncologic patients. Anticancer Res 2014; 34: 4335-44.
40. Caranci F, Brunese L, Reginelli A, Napoli M, Fonio P, Briganti F. Neck neoplastic conditions in the emergency setting: role of multidetector computed tomography. Semin Ultrasound CT MR 2012; 33: 443-8.
41. Scialpi M, Cappabianca S, Rotondo A, et al. Pulmonary congenital cystic disease in adults. Spiral computed tomography findings with pathologic correlation and management. Radiol Med 2010; 115: 539-50.
42. Mazzei MA, Guerrini S, Mazzei FG, et al. Follow-up of endovascular aortic aneurysm repair: Preliminary validation of digital tomosynthesis and contrast enhanced ultrasound in detection of medium- to long-term complications. World J Radiol 2016; 8: 530-6.
43. Grazzini G, Cozzi D, Flammia F, et al. Hepatic tumors: pitfall in diagnostic imaging. Acta Biomed 2020; 91: 9-17.
44. Murray N, Darras KE, Walstra FE, Mohammed MF, McLaughlin PD, Nicolaou S. Dual-Energy CT in Evaluation of the Acute Abdomen. Radiographics 2019; 39: 264-86.
45. Shaqdan KW, Parakh A, Kambadakone AR, Sahani DV. Role of dual energy CT to improve diagnosis of non-traumatic abdominal vascular emergencies. Abdom Radiol (NY) 2019; 44: 406-21.
46. Miyamoto N, Kodama Y, Endo H, Shimizu T, Miyasaka K. Hepatic artery embolization for postoperative hemorrhage in upper abdominal surgery. Abdom Imaging 2003; 28: 347-53.
47. Alghamdi HM. Management of Liver Trauma. Saudi J Med Med Sci 2017; 5: 104-09.
48. De Toma G, Mingoli A, Modini C, Cavallaro A, Stipa S. The value of angiography and selective hepatic artery embolization for continuous bleeding after surgery in liver trauma: case reports. J Trauma 1994; 37: 508-11.
49. Hsieh JS, Huang CJ, Huang YS, Sheen PC, Huang TJ. Intraperitoneal hemorrhage due to spontaneous rupture of hepatocellular carcinoma: treatment by hepatic artery embolization. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1987; 149: 715-7.
50. Sag AA, Brody LA, Maybody M, et al. Acute and delayed bleeding requiring embolization after image-guided liver biopsy in patients with cancer. Clin Imaging 2016; 40: 535-40.
51. Prichayudh S, Sirinawin C, Sriussadaporn S, et al. Management of liver injuries: predictors for the need of operation and damage control surgery. Injury 2014; 45: 1373-7.
52. Lin BC, Fang JF, Chen RJ, Wong YC, Hsu YP. Surgical management and outcome of blunt major liver injuries: experience of damage control laparotomy with perihepatic packing in one trauma centre. Injury 2014; 45: 122-7.
53. Zoccali C, Arrigoni F, Mariani S, Bruno F, Barile A, Masciocchi C. An unusual localization of chondroblastoma: The triradiate cartilage; from a case report a reconstructive technique proposal with imaging evolution. J Clin Orthop Trauma 2017; 8: S48-S52.
54. Scarpino M, Lolli F, Lanzo G, et al. Neurophysiology and neuroimaging accurately predict poor neurological outcome within 24 hours after cardiac arrest: The ProNeCA prospective multicentre prognostication study. Resuscitation 2019; 143: 115-23.
55. Manetta R, Pistoia ML, Bultrini C, Stavroulis E, Di Cesare E, Masciocchi C. Ultrasound enhanced with sulphur-hexafluoride-filled microbubbles agent (SonoVue) in the follow-up of mild liver and spleen trauma. Radiol Med 2009; 114: 771-9.
56. Manetta R, Palumbo P, Gianneramo C, et al. Correlation between ADC values and Gleason score in evaluation of prostate cancer: multicentre experience and review of the literature. Gland Surg 2019; 8: S216-S22.
57. Gravina GL, Marampon F, Muzi P, et al. PXD101 potentiates hormonal therapy and prevents the onset of castration-resistant phenotype modulating androgen receptor, HSP90, and CRM1 in preclinical models of prostate cancer. Endocr Relat Cancer 2013; 20: 321-37.
58. Chianca V, Albano D, Messina C, et al. Rotator cuff calcific tendinopathy: from diagnosis to treatment. Acta Biomed 2018; 89: 186-96.
59. Ruscitti P, Bruno F, Berardicurti O, et al. Lung involvement in macrophage activation syndrome and severe COVID-19: results from a cross-sectional study to assess clinical, laboratory and artificial intelligence-radiological differences. Ann Rheum Dis 2020; 79: 1152-55.
60. Rossi A, Bustini M, Prosperini P, et al. Neuromorphological abnormalities in schizophrenic patients with good and poor outcome. Acta Psychiatr Scand 2000; 101: 161-6.
61. Bruno F, Arrigoni F, Palumbo P, et al. The Acutely Injured Wrist. Radiol Clin North Am 2019; 57: 943-55.
62. Piccolo CL, Trinci M, Pinto A, Brunese L, Miele V. Role of contrast-enhanced ultrasound (CEUS) in the diagnosis and management of traumatic splenic injuries. J Ultrasound 2018; 21: 315-27.
63. Trinci M, Piccolo CL, Ferrari R, Galluzzo M, Ianniello S, Miele V. Contrast-enhanced ultrasound (CEUS) in pediatric blunt abdominal trauma. J Ultrasound 2019; 22: 27-40.
64. Agostini A, Borgheresi A, Floridi C, et al. The role of imaging in surgical planning for liver resection: what the radiologist need to know. Acta Biomed 2020; 91: 18-26.
65. Latifi R, Khalaf H. Selective vascular isolation of the liver as part of initial damage control for grade 5 liver injuries: Shouldn't we use it more frequently? Int J Surg Case Rep 2015; 6C: 292-5.
66. Ryan MF, Hamilton PA, Chu P, Hanaghan J. Active extravasation of arterial contrast agent on post-traumatic abdominal computed tomography. Can Assoc Radiol J 2004; 55: 160-9.
67. Kirbas I, Tutar NU, Emiroglu FK, Coskun M, Haberal M. Multidetector computed tomography angiography in detection of active bleeding in renal and liver transplant recipients. Transplant Proc 2007; 39: 1111-5.
68. Carrillo EH. A Review of "Interventional Techniques are Useful Adjuncts in Nonoperative Management of Hepatic Injuries" (1999). Am Surg 2021; 87: 199-203.
69. Ierardi AM, Piacentino F, Pesapane F, et al. Basic embolization techniques: tips and tricks. Acta Biomed 2020; 91: 71-80.
70. Suzuki S, Suzuki H, Mochida Y, et al. Liver hemorrhage due to idiopathic peliosis hepatis successfully treated with hepatic artery embolization. Int Surg 2011; 96: 310-5.
71. Vyas S, Ahuja CK, Yadav TD, Khandelwal N. Emergency ultrasound-guided percutaneous embolization of post-traumatic bleeding hepatic artery pseudoaneurysms. Minim Invasive Ther Allied Technol 2012; 21: 372-6.
72. Ou HY, Concejero AM, Yu CY, et al. Hepatic arterial embolization for massive bleeding from an intrahepatic artery pseudoaneurysm using N-butyl-2-cyanoacrylate after living donor liver transplantation. Transpl Int 2011; 24: e19-22.
73. Hashimoto M, Akabane Y, Heianna J, et al. Hepatic infarction following selective hepatic artery embolization with microcoils for iatrogenic biliary hemorrhage. Hepatol Res 2004; 30: 42-50.
74. Wu XY, Shi XL, Zhou JX, et al. Life-threatening hemorrhage after liver radiofrequency ablation successfully controlled by transarterial embolization. World J Hepatol 2012; 4: 419-21.
75. Hagiwara A, Yukioka T, Shimazaki S, Megawa T, Matuda H. Delayed hemorrhage following transcatheter arterial embolization for blunt hepatic injury. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 1993; 16: 380-3.
76. Sanada Y, Kondo H, Goshima S, et al. Liver abscess after common hepatic artery embolization for delayed hemorrhage following pancreaticoduodenectomy: a case report. Case Rep Med 2010; 2010: 280430.
77. Berger DH, Carrasco CH, Hohn DC, Curley SA. Hepatic artery chemoembolization or embolization for primary and metastatic liver tumors: post-treatment management and complications. J Surg Oncol 1995; 60: 116-21.
78. Virdis F, Reccia I, Di Saverio S, et al. Clinical outcomes of primary arterial embolization in severe hepatic trauma: A systematic review. Diagn Interv Imaging 2019; 100: 65-75.
79. Bilbao JI, Paramo M, Madrid JM, Benito A. Hepatocellular carcinoma treatment: ablation and arterial embolization. Radiologia (Engl Ed) 2018; 60: 156-66.
80. Han P, Yang L, Huang XW, et al. A traumatic hepatic artery pseudoaneurysm and arterioportal fistula, with severe diarrhea as the first symptom: A case report and review of the literature. Medicine (Baltimore) 2018; 97: e9893.
81. Gachabayov M, Kubachev K, Mityushin S, Zarkua N. Recurrent Hemobilia Due to Right Hepatic Artery Pseudoaneurysm. Clin Med Res 2017; 15: 96-99.
82. Afifi I, Abayazeed S, El-Menyar A, Abdelrahman H, Peralta R, Al-Thani H. Blunt liver trauma: a descriptive analysis from a level I trauma center. BMC Surg 2018; 18: 42.
83. Szmigielski W, Hanna RM, Dahniya MH, Hatab MT, Reddy CK. Life-threatening post-nephrolithotomy hemorrhage resulting in cessation of kidney function, treated by transcatheter arterial embolization with subsequent restoration of excretory function. Acta Radiol 1991; 32: 47-9.
84. Escudero-Fernandez JM, Bolufer Cardona M, Perez Lafuente M, Montealegre C, Uriarte I, Serres-Creixams X. Active bleeding after kidney biopsy: Successful ultrasound-guided direct thrombin embolization into the cortical fistula. J Clin Ultrasound 2021; 49: 390-94.
85. Regine G, Atzori M, Miele V, et al. Second-generation sonographic contrast agents in the evaluation of renal trauma. Radiol Med 2007; 112: 581-7.
86. Regine G, Stasolla A, Miele V. Multidetector computed tomography of the renal arteries in vascular emergencies. Eur J Radiol 2007; 64: 83-91.
87. Limtrakul T, Rompsaithong U, Ahooja A, et al. Renal Artery Embolization for Acute Renal Hemorrhage: A Single-Center Experience. Res Rep Urol 2020; 12: 315-19.
88. Idil Soylu A, Uzunkaya F, Belet U, Akan H. Selective transarterial embolization of acute renal hemorrhage: a retrospective study. Minim Invasive Ther Allied Technol 2020; 29: 326-33.
89. Gabrielson AT, Faisal FA, Pierorazio PM. Management of acute post-operative hemorrhage following partial nephrectomy with renal artery embolization. Urol Case Rep 2020; 32: 101252.
90. Rao D, Yu H, Zhu H, Yu K, Hu X, Xie L. Superselective transcatheter renal artery embolization for the treatment of hemorrhage from non-iatrogenic blunt renal trauma: report of 16 clinical cases. Ther Clin Risk Manag 2014; 10: 455-8.
91. Bora A, Soni A, Sainani N, Patkar D. Emergency embolization of a bleeding renal angiomyolipoma using polyvinyl alcohol particles. Diagn Interv Radiol 2007; 13: 213-6.
92. Guerrache Y, Boudiaf M, Meria P, de Kerviler E, Soyer P. [Life-threatening hemoretroperitoneum after percutaneous radiofrequency ablation of a renal tumor: treatment by emergency transcatheter arterial embolization]. J Radiol 2010; 91: 905-6.
93. Dong X, Ren Y, Han P, et al. Superselective Renal Artery Embolization Management of Post-percutaneous Nephrolithotomy Hemorrhage and Its Methods. Front Surg 2020; 7: 582261.
94. Pappas P, Leonardou P, Papadoukakis S, et al. Urgent superselective segmental renal artery embolization in the treatment of life-threatening renal hemorrhage. Urol Int 2006; 77: 34-41.
95. Mahdjoub E, Serhal A, Males L, Tligui M, Hermieu JF, Khalil A. Ethylene Vinyl Alcohol Copolymer Embolization for Acute Renal Hemorrhage: Initial Experience in 24 Cases. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2020; 214: 465-71.
96. Zeng G, Zhao Z, Wan S, et al. Failure of initial renal arterial embolization for severe post-percutaneous nephrolithotomy hemorrhage: a multicenter study of risk factors. J Urol 2013; 190: 2133-8.
97. Villalta JD, Sorensen MD, Durack JC, Kerlan RK, Stoller ML. Selective arterial embolization of angiomyolipomas: a comparison of smaller and larger embolic agents. J Urol 2011; 186: 921-7.
98. Murray TE, Doyle F, Lee M. Transarterial Embolization of Angiomyolipoma: A Systematic Review. J Urol 2015; 194: 635-9.
99. Ginat DT, Saad WE, Turba UC. Transcatheter renal artery embolization: clinical applications and techniques. Tech Vasc Interv Radiol 2009; 12: 224-39.
100. Gaba RC, Katz JR, Parvinian A, et al. Splenic artery embolization: a single center experience on the safety, ef fi cacy, and clinical outcomes. Diagn Interv Radiol 2013; 19: 49-55.
101. Bishay VL, Crino PB, Wein AJ, et al. Embolization of giant renal angiomyolipomas: technique and results. J Vasc Interv Radiol 2010; 21: 67-72.
102. Uchimura R, Ueda T, Takahashi T, et al. Successful transcatheter arterial embolization to control intratumoral hemorrhage in clear cell sarcoma of the kidney. J Nippon Med Sch 2021;
103. Abrams J, Yee DC, Clark TW. Transradial embolization of a bleeding renal angiomyolipoma. Vasc Endovascular Surg 2011; 45: 470-3.
104. Orlacchio A, Roma S, Grassedonio E, et al. Use of intravascular contrast agents: what radiologists need to know. J Radiol Rev 2020; 7: 435-47.
105. Orlacchio A, Passamonti M, Roma S, et al. Management of acute adverse reactions by contrast medium. J Radiol Rev 2020; 7: 77-84.
106. Marsico F, Paolillo S, Gargiulo P, et al. Renal function and cardiac adrenergic impairment in patients affected by heart failure. J Nucl Cardiol 2019;
107. Setacci F, Sirignano P, de Donato G, et al. Two-year-results of Endurant stent-graft in challenging aortic neck morphologies versus standard anatomies. J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino) 2014; 55: 85-92.
108. Rassweiler J, Prager P, Haferkamp A, Alken P, Kauffmann GW, Richter G. Transarterial nephrectomy: the current status of experimental and clinical studies. J Endourol 2008; 22: 767-82.
109. Jaganjac S, Sarajlic-Durovic V, Duheric A, Herceglija E, Bulja D, Lincender L. Percutaneous transarterial kidney embolization. Med Arh 2007; 61: 233-5.
110. Bissler JJ, Racadio J, Donnelly LF, Johnson ND. Reduction of postembolization syndrome after ablation of renal angiomyolipoma. Am J Kidney Dis 2002; 39: 966-71.