Main Article Content
MRgFUS, HIFU, Magnetic Resonance guided focused ultrasound, clinical application, physics
First applications of high focused ultrasound as intracranial ablative therapy were firstly described in early 50’. Since then, the technological innovations have shown an increasingly safe and effective face of this technique. And in the last few years, Magnetic Resonance (MR) guided Focused Ultrasound (gFUS) has become a valid minimally invasive technique in the treatment of several diseases, from bone tumors to symptomatic uterine fibroids or essential tremors.
MR guidance, through the tomographic view, offers the advantage of an accurate target detection and treatment planning. Moreover, real-time monitoring sequences allow to avoid non-target ablation.
An adequate knowledge of FUS is essential to understand its clinical effectiveness. Therefore, this brief review aims to debate the physical characteristics of US and the main fields of clinical application.
2. Barile A, Regis G, Masi R, et al. Musculoskeletal tumours: preliminary experience with perfusion MRI. Radiol Med 2007; 112: 550-61.
3. Bruno F, Arrigoni F, Palumbo P, et al. The Acutely Injured Wrist. Radiol Clin North Am 2019; 57: 943-55.
4. Bruno F, Arrigoni F, Palumbo P, et al. New advances in MRI diagnosis of degenerative osteoarthropathy of the peripheral joints. Radiol Med 2019; 124: 1121-27.
5. Bruno F, Barile A, Arrigoni F, et al. Weight-bearing MRI of the knee: a review of advantages and limits. Acta Biomed 2018; 89: 78-88.
6. Masciocchi C, Lanni G, Conti L, et al. Soft-tissue inflammatory myofibroblastic tumors (IMTs) of the limbs: potential and limits of diagnostic imaging. Skeletal Radiol 2012; 41: 643-9.
7. Scialpi M, Cappabianca S, Rotondo A, et al. Pulmonary congenital cystic disease in adults. Spiral computed tomography findings with pathologic correlation and management. Radiol Med 2010; 115: 539-50.
8. Scialpi M, Palumbo B, Pierotti L, et al. Detection and characterization of focal liver lesions by split-bolus multidetector-row CT: diagnostic accuracy and radiation dose in oncologic patients. Anticancer Res 2014; 34: 4335-44.
9. Zappia M, Reginelli A, Russo A, et al. Long head of the biceps tendon and rotator interval. Musculoskelet Surg 2013; 97 Suppl 2: S99-108.
10. Muccio CF, Di Blasi A, Esposito G, Brunese L, D'Arco F, Caranci F. Perfusion and spectroscopy magnetic resonance imaging in a case of lymphocytic vasculitis mimicking brain tumor. Pol J Radiol 2013; 78: 66-9.
11. Consoli A, Cuccuini M, Lorenzini F, et al. Anatomical variations of the posterior circulation: case reports and a review of literature. Ital J Anat Embryol 2012; 117: 13-22.
12. Consoli A, Grazzini G, Renieri L, et al. Effects of hyper-early (<12 hours) endovascular treatment of ruptured intracranial aneurysms on clinical outcome. Interv Neuroradiol 2013; 19: 195-202.
13. Consoli A, Renieri L, Nappini S, et al. Endovascular treatment with 'kissing' flow diverter stents of two unruptured aneurysms at a fenestrated vertebrobasilar junction. J Neurointerv Surg 2013; 5: e9.
14. Renieri L, Consoli A, Scarpini G, Grazzini G, Nappini S, Mangiafico S. Double arterial catheterization technique for embolization of brain arteriovenous malformations with onyx. Neurosurgery 2013; 72: 92-8; discussion 98.
15. Giordano AV, Arrigoni F, Bruno F, et al. Interventional Radiology Management of a Ruptured Lumbar Artery Pseudoaneurysm after Cryoablation and Vertebroplasty of a Lumbar Metastasis. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 2017; 40: 776-79.
16. Manetta R, Palumbo P, Gianneramo C, et al. Correlation between ADC values and Gleason score in evaluation of prostate cancer: multicentre experience and review of the literature. Gland Surg 2019; 8: S216-S22.
17. Rossi A, Bustini M, Prosperini P, et al. Neuromorphological abnormalities in schizophrenic patients with good and poor outcome. Acta Psychiatr Scand 2000; 101: 161-6.
18. Ruscitti P, Bruno F, Berardicurti O, et al. Lung involvement in macrophage activation syndrome and severe COVID-19: results from a cross-sectional study to assess clinical, laboratory and artificial intelligence-radiological differences. Ann Rheum Dis 2020; 79: 1152-55.
19. Scarpino M, Lolli F, Lanzo G, et al. Neurophysiology and neuroimaging accurately predict poor neurological outcome within 24 hours after cardiac arrest: The ProNeCA prospective multicentre prognostication study. Resuscitation 2019; 143: 115-23.
20. Silvestri E, Barile A, Albano D, et al. Interventional therapeutic procedures in the musculoskeletal system: an Italian Survey by the Italian College of Musculoskeletal Radiology. Radiol Med 2018; 123: 314-21.
21. Zoccali C, Rossi B, Zoccali G, et al. A new technique for biopsy of soft tissue neoplasms: a preliminary experience using MRI to evaluate bleeding. Minerva Med 2015; 106: 117-20.
22. Chianca V, Albano D, Messina C, et al. Rotator cuff calcific tendinopathy: from diagnosis to treatment. Acta Biomed 2018; 89: 186-96.
23. D'Orazio F, Splendiani A, Gallucci M. 320-Row Detector Dynamic 4D-CTA for the Assessment of Brain and Spinal Cord Vascular Shunting Malformations. A Technical Note. Neuroradiol J 2014; 27: 710-7.
24. Di Pietto F, Chianca V, de Ritis R, et al. Postoperative imaging in arthroscopic hip surgery. Musculoskelet Surg 2017; 101: 43-49.
25. Gravina GL, Marampon F, Muzi P, et al. PXD101 potentiates hormonal therapy and prevents the onset of castration-resistant phenotype modulating androgen receptor, HSP90, and CRM1 in preclinical models of prostate cancer. Endocr Relat Cancer 2013; 20: 321-37.
26. Masciocchi C, Conchiglia A, Gregori LM, Arrigoni F, Zugaro L, Barile A. Critical role of HIFU in musculoskeletal interventions. Radiol Med 2014; 119: 470-5.
27. Siedek F, Yeo SY, Heijman E, et al. Magnetic Resonance-Guided High-Intensity Focused Ultrasound (MR-HIFU): Technical Background and Overview of Current Clinical Applications (Part 1). Rofo 2019; 191: 522-30.
28. Schlesinger D, Benedict S, Diederich C, Gedroyc W, Klibanov A, Larner J. MR-guided focused ultrasound surgery, present and future. Med Phys 2013; 40: 080901.
29. Roberts WW, Hall TL, Ives K, Wolf JS, Jr., Fowlkes JB, Cain CA. Pulsed cavitational ultrasound: a noninvasive technology for controlled tissue ablation (histotripsy) in the rabbit kidney. J Urol 2006; 175: 734-8.
30. Masciocchi C, Arrigoni F, La Marra A, Mariani S, Zugaro L, Barile A. Treatment of focal benign lesions of the bone: MRgFUS and RFA. Br J Radiol 2016; 89: 20150356.
31. Arrigoni F, Bruno F, Zugaro L, et al. Developments in the management of bone metastases with interventional radiology. Acta Biomed 2018; 89: 166-74.
32. Arrigoni F, Gregori L, Zugaro L, Barile A, Masciocchi C. MRgFUS in the treatment of MSK lesions: A review based on the experience of the University of L’Aquila, Italy. Translational Cancer Research 2014; 3: 442-48.
33. ten Eikelder HM, Bosnacki D, Elevelt A, et al. Modelling the temperature evolution of bone under high intensity focused ultrasound. Phys Med Biol 2016; 61: 1810-28.
34. Bucknor MD, Ozhinsky E, Shah R, Krug R, Rieke V. Effect of Sonication Duration and Power on Ablation Depth During MR-Guided Focused Ultrasound of Bone. J Magn Reson Imaging 2017; 46: 1418-22.
35. Arrigoni F, Barile A, Zugaro L, et al. Intra-articular benign bone lesions treated with Magnetic Resonance-guided Focused Ultrasound (MRgFUS): imaging follow-up and clinical results. Med Oncol 2017; 34: 55.
36. Belfiore G, Belfiore MP, Reginelli A, et al. Concurrent chemotherapy alone versus irreversible electroporation followed by chemotherapy on survival in patients with locally advanced pancreatic cancer. Med Oncol 2017; 34: 38.
37. Cappabianca S, Porto A, Petrillo M, et al. Preliminary study on the correlation between grading and histology of solitary pulmonary nodules and contrast enhancement and [18F]fluorodeoxyglucose standardised uptake value after evaluation by dynamic multiphase CT and PET/CT. J Clin Pathol 2011; 64: 114-9.
38. Caranci F, Brunese L, Reginelli A, Napoli M, Fonio P, Briganti F. Neck neoplastic conditions in the emergency setting: role of multidetector computed tomography. Semin Ultrasound CT MR 2012; 33: 443-8.
39. Catane R, Beck A, Inbar Y, et al. MR-guided focused ultrasound surgery (MRgFUS) for the palliation of pain in patients with bone metastases--preliminary clinical experience. Ann Oncol 2007; 18: 163-67.
40. Cazzato RL, Arrigoni F, Boatta E, et al. Percutaneous management of bone metastases: state of the art, interventional strategies and joint position statement of the Italian College of MSK Radiology (ICoMSKR) and the Italian College of Interventional Radiology (ICIR). Radiol Med 2019; 124: 34-49.
41. Arrigoni F, Napoli A, Bazzocchi A, et al. Magnetic-resonance-guided focused ultrasound treatment of non-spinal osteoid osteoma in children: multicentre experience. Pediatr Radiol 2019; 49: 1209-16.
42. De Filippo M, Russo U, Papapietro VR, et al. Radiofrequency ablation of osteoid osteoma. Acta Biomed 2018; 89: 175-85.
43. Arrigoni F, Barile A, Zugaro L, et al. CT-guided radiofrequency ablation of spinal osteoblastoma: treatment and long-term follow-up. Int J Hyperthermia 2018; 34: 321-27.
44. Zoccali C, Arrigoni F, Mariani S, Bruno F, Barile A, Masciocchi C. An unusual localization of chondroblastoma: The triradiate cartilage; from a case report a reconstructive technique proposal with imaging evolution. J Clin Orthop Trauma 2017; 8: S48-S52.
45. Masciocchi C, Arrigoni F, Ferrari F, et al. Uterine fibroid therapy using interventional radiology mini-invasive treatments: current perspective. Med Oncol 2017; 34: 52.
46. Dobrotwir A, Pun E. Clinical 24 month experience of the first MRgFUS unit for treatment of uterine fibroids in Australia. J Med Imaging Radiat Oncol 2012; 56: 409-16.
47. Froling V, Kroncke TJ, Schreiter NF, et al. Technical eligibility for treatment of magnetic resonance-guided focused ultrasound surgery. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 2014; 37: 445-50.
48. Quinn SD, Gedroyc WM. Thermal ablative treatment of uterine fibroids. Int J Hyperthermia 2015; 31: 272-9.
49. Ruhnke H, Eckey T, Bohlmann MK, et al. MR-guided HIFU treatment of symptomatic uterine fibroids using novel feedback-regulated volumetric ablation: effectiveness and clinical practice. Rofo 2013; 184: 983-91.
50. Leslie TA, Kennedy JE. High intensity focused ultrasound in the treatment of abdominal and gynaecological diseases. Int J Hyperthermia 2007; 23: 173-82.
51. Giurazza F, Corvino F, Silvestre M, et al. Role of interventional radiology in obstetric and gynecological diseases. J Radiol Rev 2020; 7: 26-38.
52. Clark NA, Mumford SL, Segars JH. Reproductive impact of MRI-guided focused ultrasound surgery for fibroids: a systematic review of the evidence. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol 2014; 26: 151-61.
53. Ji Y, Hu K, Zhang Y, et al. High-intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU) treatment for uterine fibroids: a meta-analysis. Arch Gynecol Obstet 2017; 296: 1181-88.
54. Pieri S, Di Felice M, Moreschi E, et al. Transbrachial approach to the treatment of uterine leiomyomas with embolization of the uterine arteries: a preliminary technical experience. Radiol Med 2015; 120: 759-66.
55. Bruno F, Catalucci A, Arrigoni F, et al. An experience-based review of HIFU in functional interventional neuroradiology: transcranial MRgFUS thalamotomy for treatment of tremor. Radiol Med 2020; 125: 877-86.
56. Quadri SA, Waqas M, Khan I, et al. High-intensity focused ultrasound: past, present, and future in neurosurgery. Neurosurg Focus 2018; 44: E16.
57. Giordano M, Caccavella VM, Zaed I, et al. Comparison between deep brain stimulation and magnetic resonance-guided focused ultrasound in the treatment of essential tremor: a systematic review and pooled analysis of functional outcomes. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2020; 91: 1270-78.
58. Harary M, Segar DJ, Hayes MT, Cosgrove GR. Unilateral Thalamic Deep Brain Stimulation Versus Focused Ultrasound Thalamotomy for Essential Tremor. World Neurosurg 2019; 126: e144-e52.
59. Fishman PS, Frenkel V. Focused Ultrasound: An Emerging Therapeutic Modality for Neurologic Disease. Neurotherapeutics 2017; 14: 393-404.
60. Huisman M, van den Bosch MA. MR-guided high-intensity focused ultrasound for noninvasive cancer treatment. Cancer Imaging 2011; 11: S161-6.
61. Kennedy JE. High-intensity focused ultrasound in the treatment of solid tumours. Nat Rev Cancer 2005; 5: 321-7.
62. Wu F, Wang ZB, Chen WZ, Bai J, Zhu H, Qiao TY. Preliminary experience using high intensity focused ultrasound for the treatment of patients with advanced stage renal malignancy. J Urol 2003; 170: 2237-40.
63. Wu F, Wang ZB, Chen WZ, et al. Extracorporeal high intensity focused ultrasound ablation in the treatment of 1038 patients with solid carcinomas in China: an overview. Ultrason Sonochem 2004; 11: 149-54.
64. Wu F, Wang ZB, Cao YD, et al. "Wide local ablation" of localized breast cancer using high intensity focused ultrasound. J Surg Oncol 2007; 96: 130-6.
65. Furusawa H, Namba K, Thomsen S, et al. Magnetic resonance-guided focused ultrasound surgery of breast cancer: reliability and effectiveness. J Am Coll Surg 2006; 203: 54-63.
66. Zippel DB, Papa MZ. The use of MR imaging guided focused ultrasound in breast cancer patients; a preliminary phase one study and review. Breast Cancer 2005; 12: 32-8.
67. Valdora F, Cortese K, Calabrese M, et al. Novel imaging techniques and biological methods for breast cancer evaluation: overview and update. J Radiol Rev 2020; 7: 105-16.
68. Cornford P, Bellmunt J, Bolla M, et al. EAU-ESTRO-SIOG Guidelines on Prostate Cancer. Part II: Treatment of Relapsing, Metastatic, and Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer. Eur Urol 2017; 71: 630-42.
69. Rischmann P, Gelet A, Riche B, et al. Focal High Intensity Focused Ultrasound of Unilateral Localized Prostate Cancer: A Prospective Multicentric Hemiablation Study of 111 Patients. Eur Urol 2017; 71: 267-73.
70. Chaussy CG, Thuroff S. High-Intensity Focused Ultrasound for the Treatment of Prostate Cancer: A Review. J Endourol 2017; 31: S30-S37.
71. Gargiulo P, Paolillo S, Ferrazzano F, et al. Prognostic Value of Hormonal Abnormalities in Heart Failure Patients. Heart Fail Clin 2019; 15: 371-75.
72. John P, Butler H, Saif MW. Congestive heart failure secondary to gemcitabine nab-paclitaxel in patients with pancreatic cancer. Anticancer Res 2014; 34: 7267-70.
73. Marsico F, Paolillo S, Gargiulo P, et al. Renal function and cardiac adrenergic impairment in patients affected by heart failure. J Nucl Cardiol 2019;
74. Gargiulo P PS, Bruzzese D, Poccia A, Di Napoli P, Dell’Aversana S, Esposito I, Luca Bardi, Gaetano Diana, Antonio Ambrosio, Maria Prastaro, Gaetano Asile, Caterina Marciano, Santo Dellegrotttaglie, Pasquale Perrone-Filardi. Effects of Sodium-Glucose Co-Transporter-2 (Sglt2) Inhibitors on Major Cardiovascular Events in Type 2 Diabetic Patients a Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. Research Square
75. Marinova M, Rauch M, Mucke M, et al. High-intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU) for pancreatic carcinoma: evaluation of feasibility, reduction of tumour volume and pain intensity. Eur Radiol 2016; 26: 4047-56.
76. Anzidei M, Marincola BC, Bezzi M, et al. Magnetic resonance-guided high-intensity focused ultrasound treatment of locally advanced pancreatic adenocarcinoma: preliminary experience for pain palliation and local tumor control. Invest Radiol 2014; 49: 759-65.
77. Vidal-Jove J, Perich E, Del Castillo MA. Ultrasound Guided High Intensity Focused Ultrasound for malignant tumors: The Spanish experience of survival advantage in stage III and IV pancreatic cancer. Ultrason Sonochem 2015; 27: 703-06.
78. Illing RO, Kennedy JE, Wu F, et al. The safety and feasibility of extracorporeal high-intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU) for the treatment of liver and kidney tumours in a Western population. Br J Cancer 2005; 93: 890-5.