The deep impact of novel CoVID-19 infection in an Orthopedics and Traumatology Department: the experience of the Piacenza Hospital
Main Article Content
CoVID-19, Orthopedics, Traumatology, Italian epidemic, emergency medicine, CoVID-19 pandemic, disaster management
Since February 21st, 2020 CoVID-19 spread throughout all Italy expanding like a “tsunami” from Codogno (Lodi, Lombardy, Northern Italy) to neighboring cities. In a few days Lodi, Piacenza, Milano, Brescia and Bergamo were forced to deal with this disaster starting the lockdown at different time. No national plan had been prepared. As result, CoVID-19 has paralyzed the Italian healthcare system. At time of writing, in Italy there are 169 323 infected patients and 22 260 deaths. Italy is fighting hard to manage CoVID-19 crisis even if most hospitals were unprepared to deal with massive influx of critically ill CoVID-19 patients. Piacenza in Emilia-Romagna region (Northern Italy) is one of the epicenters of the Italian pandemic, and the local hospital – Guglielmo da Saliceto – has quickly become a “CoVID-19 hospital” with the great effort of all the medical staff. Here we report the experience of our hospital, particularly the strategy adopted in the Orthopedics and Traumatology Department.
2. Gorbalenya AE et al, Severe acute respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus: the species and its viruses – a statement of the Coronavirus Study Group. BioRxiv, 2020, Feb 11.
3. Huang C, Wang Y, Li X, et al. Clinical features of patients infected with 2019 novel coronavirus in Wuhan, China. Lancet. 2020;395(10223):497-506.
4. Gattinoni L et al, COVID-19 pneumonia: ARDS or not? Critical care 2020; 24:154.
5. Ciceri F et al, Critical care and Resuscitation 2020, Epub ahead of print.
6. Grasselli G, Pesenti A, Cecconi M. Critical Care Utilization for the COVID-19 Outbreak in Lombardy, Italy: Early Experience and Forecast During an Emergency Response. JAMA. Published online March 13, 2020. doi:10.1001/jama.2020.4031.
7. Murthy S, Gomersall CD, Fowler RA. Care for Critically Ill Patients With COVID-19. JAMA. Published online March 11, 2020. doi:10.1001/jama.2020.3633.
8. Poggiali et al, Triage-decision making at the time of COVID-19 infection: the Piacenza strategy. Internal and Emergency Medicine, accepted 16 April.
9. Poggiali E, Dacrema A, Bastoni D, et al. Can Lung US Help Critical Care Clinicians in the Early Diagnosis of Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pneumonia? Radiology 2020. [Epub ahead of print].
10. Zhai P, Ding Y, Wu X, Long J, Zhong Y, Li Y. The epidemiology, diagnosis and treatment of COVID-19. Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2020 Mar 28:105955. doi: 10.1016/j.ijantimicag.2020.105955. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 32234468; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC7138178.
11. Arnold SL, Buckner F. Hydroxychloroquine for treatment of SARS-CoV-2 infection? Improving our confidence in a model-based approach to dose selection. Clin Transl Sci. 2020 Apr 8. doi: 10.1111/cts.12797. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 32268005.
12. Thachil J. The versatile heparin in COVID-19. J Thromb Haemost. 2020 Apr 2.
13. Carr J: The anti-inflammatory action of heparin: heparin as an antagonist to histamine, bradykinin, and prostaglandin E1. Thromb Res. 1979;16:507-516.
14. Ning Tang 1, Dengju Li 2, Xiong Wang 1, Ziyong Sun1 Abnormal coagulation parameters are associated with poor prognosis in patients with novel coronavirus pneumonia J Thromb Haemost. 2020;00:1–4.
15. Chuan Qin, Luoqi Zhou, Ziwei Hu, et al. Dysregulatiopn of immune response in patients with COVID-19 in Wuhan, China. Clinical Infectious Disease. 2020, March 13. pii: ciaa248. doi: 10.1093/cid/ciaa248. [Epub ahead of print].
16. Simpson S, Kay FU, Abbara S, Bhalla S, Chung JH, Chung M, Henry TS, Kanne JP, Kligerman S, Ko JP, Litt H. Radiological Society of North America Expert Consensus Statement on Reporting Chest CT Findings Related to COVID-19. Endorsed by the Society of Thoracic Radiology, the American College of Radiology, and RSNA. Radiology. 2020 (in press). doi: 10.1148/ryct.2020200152. Accessed April 4, 2020.
17. Sverzellati N, Milanese G, Milone F, Balbi M, Ledda RE, Silva M. Integrated Radiologic Algorithm for COVID-19 Pandemic. J Thorac Imaging. 2020 Apr 7. doi: 10.1097/RTI.0000000000000516. Epub ahead of print.
18. Feng P, Tianhe Y, Peng S, Shan G, Bo L, Lingli L, Dandan Z, Jiazheng W, Richard L. H, Lian Y, Chuansheng Z. The course of lung changes on chest CT during recovery from 2019 novel coronavirus (COVID-19) Pneumonia. Radiology 2020. doi: 10.1148/radiol.2020200370.
19. Colombi D, Bodini FC, Petrini M, Maffi G, Morelli N, Milanese G, Silva M, Sverzellati N, Michieletti E. Well-aerated Lung on Admitting Chest CT to Predict Adverse Outcome in COVID-19 Pneumonia. Radiology. 2020 Apr 17:201433. doi: 10.1148/radiol.2020201433. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 32301647.
20. Caforio M, Maniscalco P, Colombo M, Calori GM. Long endomedullary nail in proximal third humeral shaft fractures. Injury. 2016 Oct;47 Suppl 4:S64-S70. doi: 10.1016/j.injury.2016.07.037. Epub 2016 Aug 6. PubMed PMID: 27507546.
21. Ruffilli A, Traina F, Pilla F, et al. Marchetti Vincenzi elastic retrograde nail in the treatment of humeral shaft fractures: review of the current literature. Musckoloskelet Surg. 2015 Dec;99(3):201-9.
22. Rivera F, Leonardi F, Maniscalco P, Caforio M, Capelli R, Molinari G, Esopi P. Uncemented fully hydroxyapatite-coated hip stem for intracapsular femoral neck fractures in osteoporotic elderly patients: a multicenter study. Arthroplast Today. 2015 Aug 28;1(3):81-84. doi: 10.1016/j.artd.2015.02.002. eCollection 2015 Sep. PubMed PMID: 28326377; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4956684.
23. Rebuzzi E, Pannone A, Schiavetti S, et al. IMHS clinical experience in the treatment of peritrochanteric fractures. The results of a multicentric Italian study of 981 cases. Injury. 2002 Jun;33(5):407-12.
24. Maniscalco P, Benazzo F, Ruggieri P, Di Maggio B. CIO: 360° in trauma care. Injury. 2019 Aug;50 Suppl 4:S1.
25. Li Z, Yi Y, Luo X, Xiong N, Liu Y, Li S, Sun R, Wang Y, Hu B, Chen W, Zhang Y, Wang J, Huang B, Lin Y, Yang J, Cai W, Wang X, Cheng J, Chen Z, Sun K, Pan W, Zhan Z, Chen L, Ye F. Development and Clinical Application of A Rapid IgM-IgG Combined Antibody Test for SARS-CoV-2 Infection Diagnosis. J Med Virol. 2020 Feb 27. doi: 10.1002/jmv.25727. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 32104917.
26. F.Berardi. The Italian Doctor Flattening the Curve by Treating COVID-19 Patients in Their Homes. Time. April 9, 2020.
27. No Authors Signed. The Country Won’t Work Without Them. 12 Stories of People Putting Their Lives on the Line to Help Others During Coronavirus. Time.April 9, 2020.
28. Noel Lorenzo Villalba, Yasmine Maouche, Maria Belen Alonso Ortiz, Zaida Cordoba Sosa, Jean Baptiste Chahbazian, Aneska Syrovatkova, Pierre Pertoldi, Emmanuel Andres, Abrar-Ahmad Zulfiqar. Anosmia and Dysgeusia in the Absence of Other Respiratory Diseases: Should COVID-19 Infection Be Considered? EJCRIM, 2020.
29. Huang C, Wang Y, Li X, et al. Clinical features of patients infected with 2019 novel coronavirus in Wuhan, China. Lancet. 2020;395(10223):497-506.