Main Article Content
SARS-CoV-2, COVID-19, chest CT, chest x-ray, lung US
Novel beta-coronavirus (2019-nCoV) is the cause of Coronavirus disease-19 (COVID-19), and on March 12th 2020, the World Health Organization defined COVID-19 as a controllable pandemic. Currently, the 2019 novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) can be identified by virus isolation or viral nucleic acid detection; however, false negatives associated with the nucleic acid detection provide a clinical challenge. Imaging examination has become the indispensable means not only in the early detection and diagnosis but also in monitoring the clinical course, evaluating the disease severity, and may be presented as an important warning signal preceding the negative RT-PCR test results. Different radiological modalities can be used in different disease settings. Radiology Departments must be nimble in implementing operational changes to ensure continued radiology services and protect patients and staff health.
2. Borges do Nascimento IJ, Cacic N, Abdulazeem HM, et al. Novel Coronavirus Infection (COVID-19) in Humans: A Scoping Review and Meta-Analysis. Journal of clinical medicine 2020; 9.
3. Kim H. Outbreak of novel coronavirus (COVID-19): What is the role of radiologists? European radiology 2020.
4. Yang W, Sirajuddin A, Zhang X, et al. The role of imaging in 2019 novel coronavirus pneumonia (COVID-19). European radiology 2020.
5. Tsou IYY, Liew CJY, Tan BP, et al. Planning and coordination of the radiological response to the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic: the Singapore experience. Clinical radiology 2020.
6. Panfili E, Nicolini D, Polverini V, et al. Importance of radiological detection of early pulmonary acute complications of liver transplantation: analysis of 259 cases. La Radiologia medica 2015; 120: 413-20.
7. Mascalchi M, Maddau C, Sali L, et al. Circulating tumor cells and microemboli can differentiate malignant and benign pulmonary lesions. Journal of Cancer 2017; 8: 2223- 2230.
8. Salaffi F, Carotti M, Bosello S, et al. Computer-aided quantification of interstitial lung disease from high resolution computed tomography images in systemic sclerosis: correlation with visual reader-based score and physiologic tests. BioMed research international 2015; 2015: 834262.
9. Salaffi F, Carotti M, Di Carlo M, et al. Adherence to Anti- Tumor Necrosis Factor Therapy Administered Subcutaneously and Associated Factors in Patients With Rheumatoid
Arthritis. Journal of clinical rheumatology : practical reports on rheumatic & musculoskeletal diseases 2015; 21: 419-25.
10. Carrafiello G, Lagana D, Nosari AM, et al. Utility of computed tomography (CT) and of fine needle aspiration biopsy (FNAB) in early diagnosis of fungal pulmonary infections. Study of infections from filamentous fungi in haematologically immunodeficient patients. La Radiologia medica 2006; 111: 33-41.
11. Cozzi D, Dini C, Mungai F, et al. Primary pulmonary lymphoma: imaging findings in 30 cases. La Radiologia medica 2019; 124: 1262-1269.
12. Mazzei MA, Contorni F, Gentili F, et al. Incidental and Underreported Pleural Plaques at Chest CT: Do Not Miss Them-Asbestos Exposure Still Exists. BioMed research international 2017; 2017: 797826.
13. Mossa-Basha M, Meltzer CC, Kim DC, et al. Radiology Department Preparedness for COVID-19: Radiology Scientific Expert Panel. Radiology 2020; 200988.
14. Franquet T. Imaging of Community-acquired Pneumonia. Journal of thoracic imaging 2018; 33: 282-294.
15. Wong HYF, Lam HYS, Fong AH, et al. Frequency and Distribution of Chest Radiographic Findings in COVID-19 Positive Patients. Radiology 2019; 201160.
16. Jacobi A, Chung M, Bernheim A, Eber C. Portable chest X-ray in coronavirus disease-19 (COVID-19): A pictorial review. Clinical imaging 2020; 64: 35-42.
17. Li Y, Xia L. Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): Role of Chest CT in Diagnosis and Management. AJR. American journal of roentgenology 2020; 1-7.
18. Ai T, Yang Z, Hou H, et al. Correlation of Chest CT and RTPCR Testing in Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in China: A Report of 1014 Cases. Radiology 2020; 200642.
19. Fang Y, Zhang H, Xie J, et al. Sensitivity of Chest CT for COVID-19: Comparison to RT-PCR. Radiology 2020; 200432.
20. Xie X, Zhong Z, Zhao W, Zheng C, Wang F, Liu J. Chest CT for Typical 2019-nCoV Pneumonia: Relationship to Negative RT-PCR Testing. Radiology 2020; 200343.
21. Agostini A, Floridi C, Borgheresi A, et al. Proposal of a low-dose, long-pitch, dual-source chest CT protocol on third-generation dual-source CT using a tin filter for spectral shaping at 100 kVp for CoronaVirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) patients: a feasibility study. La Radiologia medica 2020; 125: 365-373.
22. Ye X, Xiao H, Chen B, Zhang S. Accuracy of Lung Ultrasonography versus Chest Radiography for the Diagnosis of Adult Community-Acquired Pneumonia: Review of the Literature and Meta-Analysis. PloS one 2015; 10: e0130066.
23. Vetrugno L, Bove T, Orso D, et al. Our Italian experience using lung ultrasound for identification, grading and serial follow-up of severity of lung involvement for management of patients with COVID-19. Echocardiography (Mount Kisco, N.Y.) 2020; 37: 625-627.
24. Soldati G, Smargiassi A, Inchingolo R, et al. Is There a Role for Lung Ultrasound During the COVID-19 Pandemic? Journal of ultrasound in medicine : official journal of the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine 2020;
25. Bomanji J, Almuhaideb A, Zumla A. Combined PET and X-ray computed tomography imaging in pulmonary infections and inflammation. Current opinion in pulmonary medicine 2011; 17: 197-205.
26. Deng Y, Lei L, Chen Y, Zhang W. The potential added value of FDG PET/CT for COVID-19 pneumonia. European journal of nuclear medicine and molecular imaging 2020;
27. Yoon SH, Lee KH, Kim JY, et al. Chest Radiographic and CT Findings of the 2019 Novel Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19): Analysis of Nine Patients Treated in Korea. Korean journal of radiology 2020; 21: 494-500.
28. Pan F, Ye T, Sun P, et al. Time Course of Lung Changes On Chest CT During Recovery From 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pneumonia. Radiology 2020; 200370.
29. Wu J, Wu X, Zeng W, et al. Chest CT Findings in Patients With Coronavirus Disease 2019 and Its Relationship With Clinical Features. Investigative radiology 2020; 55: 257-261.
30. Bernheim A, Mei X, Huang M, et al. Chest CT Findings in Coronavirus Disease-19 (COVID-19): Relationship to Duration of Infection. Radiology 2020; 200463.
31. Sofia S, Boccatonda A, Montanari M, et al. Thoracic ultrasound and SARS-COVID-19: a pictorial essay. Journal of ultrasound 2020;
32. Qin C, Liu F, Yen TC, Lan X. (18)F-FDG PET/CT findings of COVID-19: a series of four highly suspected cases. European journal of nuclear medicine and molecular imaging 2020; 47: 1281-1286.
33. Xu X, Yu C, Qu J, et al. Imaging and clinical features of patients with 2019 novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2. European journal of nuclear medicine and molecular imaging 2020; 47: 1275-1280.
34. Carrafiello G, Mangini M, Fontana F, et al. Microwave ablation of lung tumours: single-centre preliminary experience. La Radiologia medica 2014; 119: 75-82.
35. Ianniello S, Piccolo CL, Buquicchio GL, Trinci M, Miele V. First-line diagnosis of paediatric pneumonia in emergency: lung ultrasound (LUS) in addition to chest-X-ray (CXR) and its role in follow-up. The British journal of radiology 2016; 89: 20150998.
36. Cortellini A, Bozzetti F, Palumbo P, et al. Weighing the role of skeletal muscle mass and muscle density in cancer patients receiving PD-1/PD-L1 checkpoint inhibitors: a multicenter real-life study. Scientific reports 2020; 10: 1456.
37. Splendiani A, Bruno F, Patriarca L, et al. Thoracic spine trauma: advanced imaging modality. La Radiologia medica 2016; 121: 780-92.
38. Cipriani P, Berardicurti O, Masedu F, et al. Biologic therapies and infections in the daily practice of three Italian rheumatologic units: a prospective, observational study. Clinical rheumatology 2017; 36: 251-260.
39. Ruscitti P, Iacono D, Ciccia F, et al. Macrophage Activation Syndrome in Patients Affected by Adult-onset Still Disease: Analysis of Survival Rates and Predictive Factors in the Gruppo Italiano di Ricerca in Reumatologia Clinica e Sperimentale Cohort. J Rheumatol 2018; 45: 864-872.
40. Ruscitti P, Cipriani P, Ciccia F, et al. Prognostic factors of macrophage activation syndrome, at the time of diagnosis, in adult patients affected by autoimmune disease: Analysis of 41 cases collected in 2 rheumatologic centers. Autoimmunity reviews 2017; 16: 16-21.
41. Cipriani P, Di Benedetto P, Ruscitti P, et al. Perivascular Cells in Diffuse Cutaneous Systemic Sclerosis Overexpress Activated ADAM12 and Are Involved in Myofibroblast Transdifferentiation and Development of Fibrosis. J Rheumatol 2016; 43: 1340-9.
42. Giacomelli R, Liakouli V, Berardicurti O, et al. Interstitial lung disease in systemic sclerosis: current and future treatment. Rheumatology international 2017; 37: 853-863.
43. Reginelli A, Capasso R, Petrillo M, et al. Looking for Lepidic Component inside Invasive Adenocarcinomas Appearing as CT Solid Solitary Pulmonary Nodules (SPNs): CT Morpho-Densitometric Features and 18-FDG PET Findings. BioMed research international 2019; 2019: 7683648.
44. Bai HX, Hsieh B, Xiong Z, et al. Performance of radiologists in differentiating COVID-19 from viral pneumonia on chest CT. Radiology 2020; 200823.
45. Chung M, Bernheim A, Mei X, et al. CT Imaging Features of 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV). Radiology 2020; 295: 202-207.
46. Dai WC, Zhang HW, Yu J, et al. CT Imaging and Differential Diagnosis of COVID-19. Canadian Association of Radiologists journal = Journal l’Association canadienne des radiologistes 2020; 71: 195-200.