Main Article Content
Obesity, weight loss, nutrition, anthropometry., synbiotic
Abstract: Objective: This is a randomly controlled, synchronously done, single-blind study which aims to in-vestigate the effects of synbiotic use on anthropometric measurements and energy intake. Materials and Meth-ods: Sixty-one not compliant with diet and exercise recommendations, sedentary obese women (BMI: 30-39.9 kg/m2 ) who fulfilled inclusion criteria, aged between 18 and 48 randomly categorized into synbiotic (n=30) or control (n=31) group. The synbiotic and control groups consumed 1 synbiotic capsule/day or 1 placebo capsule/day during 6 weeks, respectively, without changing the ongoing diet. Anthropometric measurements (body weight, body mass index, waist circumference, hip circumference, waist / hip ratio and body fat ratio) are done at the beginning, at 3 th week and at 6 thweek. Also, 24 hours of their food consumption are recorded at the be-ginning of the study and once a week during the study. Results: Repeated measurements of body weight, body fat ratio, waist circumference, hip circumference, and the calculations of body mass index and waist/hip ratio are analyzed with mixed effect linear model and therefore, the interaction terms with group and time effects are not found significantly (p> 0.05). No difference (increase or decrease) are observed in energy intake of participants in two groups at the beginning and during the study (p> 0.05). Conclusion: Synbiotic supplement did not change antropometric measures, body composition and daily energy intake in not compliant with diet and exercise recommendations obese women. Further studies are needed to indicate the effects of synbiotic use in obesity treatment.
2. Güler Y, Sakarya A. Morbid obezite ve cerrahi tedavisi.İzmir Tepecik Hastanesi Dergisi. 2005;15(3):139-153.
3. Eker E, Şahin M. Birinci basamakta obeziteye yaklaşım. Sted. 2002;11(7): 246-249.
4. Probiotics and prebiotics [Internet]. 2017 [Erişim tarihi 12 Mayıs 2017]. Erişim adresi: http://www.worldgastroenterology.org/guidelines/global-guidelines/probiotics-and-prebiotics/probiotics-and-prebiotics-english
5.Özden A. Probiyotik “Sağlıklı Yaşam İçin Yararlı Dost Bakteriler”. Güncel Gastroenteroloji. 2013;17(1)22-38.
6. Druart C, Alligier M, Salazar N, Neyrinck AM, Delzenne NM. modulation of the gut microbiota by nutrients with prebiotic and probiotic Properties. Advances in Nutritions. 2014;5(5): 624S–633S.
7. Yoo SR, Kim YJ, Park DY, Jung UJ, Jeon SM, Ahn YT, et al. Probiotics L. Plantarum and L. Curvatus in combination alter hepatic lipid metabolism and suppress diet-induced obesity. Obesity. 2013;21(12):2571–2578.
8. Hamad EM, Sato M, Uzu K, Yoshida T, Higashi S, Kawakami H. et al. Milk fermented by Lactobacillus Gasseri SBT2055 ınfluences adipocyte size via ınhibition of dietary fat absorption in zucker rats, British Journal of Nutrition. 2009;101(5):716–724.
9. Kondo S, Xiao JZ, Satoh T, Odamaki T, Takahashi S, Sugahara H, et al. Antiobesity effects of Bifidobacterium Breve Strain B-3 supplementation in a mouse model with high-fat diet ınduced obesity. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2010;74(8):1656–1661.
10. Kadooka Y, Sato M, Imaizumi K, Ogawa A, Ikuyama K, Akai Y, et al. Regulation of abdominal adiposity by probiotics (lactobacillus gasseri sbt2055) in adults with obese tendencies in a randomized controlled Trial. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2010;64(6):636-643.
11. Sharafedtinov KK, Plotnikova OA, Alexeeva RI, Sentsova TB, Songisepp E, Stsepetova J, et al. Hypocaloric diet supplemented with probiotic cheese ımproves body mass ındex and blood pressure ındices of obese hypertensive patients - a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled pilot study. Nutrition Journal. 2013;12:138.
12. Molinaro F, Paschetta E, Cassader M, Gambino R, Musso G. Probiotics, prebiotics, energy balance, and obesity: mechanistic ınsights and therapeutic ımplications. Gastroenterology Clinics of North America. 2012;41(4):843–854.
13. Chang BJ, Park SU, Jang YS, Ko SH, Joo NM, Kim SI, et al. Effect of functional yogurt ny-yp901 in ımproving the trait of metabolic syndrome. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2011;65(11):1250-1255.
14. Rabiei S, Shakerhosseini R, Saadat N. The effects of symbiotic therapy on anthropometric measures, body composition and blood pressure in patient with metabolic syndrome: a triple blind RCT. Medical Journal of the Islamic Republic of Iran (MJIRI). 2015;9(1):29.213.
15. Sanchez M, Darimont C, Drapeau V, Azar SE, Lepage M, Rezzonico E, et al. Effect of Lactobacillus rhamnosus CGMCC1.3724 supplementation on weight loss and maintenance in obese men and women. British Journal of Nutrition. 2014;111:1507–1519.
16. Mishra AK, Dubey V, Ghosh AR. Obesity: an overview of possible role(s) of gut hormones, lipid sensing and gut microbiota, Metabolism Clinical And Experimental. 2016;65(1):48-65.
17. Kanık EA, Taşdelen B, Erdoğan S. Klinik denemelerde randomizasyon. Marmara Medical Journal. 2011;24:149-155.
18. World Health Organization (WHO): Waist circumference and waist-hip ratio: report of a WHO expert consultation. 8-11 December 2008. Geneva, Switzerland: WHO; 2011.
19. Lohman, T.G., Roche, A.F., Martorell, R. (1991). Anthropometric standardization reference manual. human kinetics, Illinois.
20. Pekcan G, Beslenme durumunun saptanması, Sağlık Bakanlığı Yayın No: 726, Ankara, Klasmat Matbaacılık, 2008.
21. Kamarlı Altun H, Akal Yıldız E, Prebiyotikler ve Probiyotiklerin Diyabet ile İlişkisi. Turk J Life Sci, 2/1:149-156
22. Hariri M, Salehi R, Feizi A, Mirlohi M, Kamali S, Ghiasvand R. The effect of probiotic soy milk and soy milk on anthropometric measures and blood pressure in patients with type II diabetes mellitus: A randomized double-blind clinical trial. ARYA Atheroscler. 2015;11(Suppl 1):74-80.
23. Sanchez M, Darimont C, Panahi S, Drapeau V, Marette Z, Taylor V H , Jean Doré J, Tremblay A, Effects of a diet-based weight-reducing program with probiotic supplementation on satiety efficiency, eating behaviour traits, and psychosocial behaviours in obese ındividuals, Nutrients 2017, 9, 284
24. Bjerg AT, Kristensen M, Ritz C, Holst JJ, Rasmussen C, Leser TD, Wellejus A , Astrup, A, Lactobacillus paracasei subsp paracasei L. casei W8 suppresses energy intake acutely, Appetite 82 (2014) 111–118
25. Borgeraas H, Johnson LK, Skattebu J, Hertel JK, J. Hjelmesæth J, Effects of probiotics on body weight, body mass index, fat mass and fat percentage in subjects with overweight or obesity: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials, doi: 10.1111/obr.12626, 2017, doi: 10.1111/obr.12626.
26. Woodard GA, Encarnacion B, Downey JR, Peraza J, Chong K, Hernandez-Boussard T, et al. Probiotics improve outcomes after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery: a prospective randomized trial. Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery. 2009;13(7):1198–1204.
27. Gøbel RJ, Larsen N, Jakobsen M, Molgaard C, Michaelsen KF. Probiotics to Adolescents with Obesity: effects on ınflammation and metabolic syndrome. Journal of Pediatric Gasrtroenterology and Nutrition. 2012;55(6):673–678.
28. Zhang Q, Wu Y, Fei X, Effect of probiotics on body weight and body-mass index: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized, controlled trials. Int J Food Sci Nutr. 2015;67(5):571-80.
29. Leber B, Tripolt NJ, Blattl D, Eder M, Wascher TC, Pieber TR et al. The influence of probiotic supplementation on gut permeability in patients with metabolic syndrome: an open label, randomized pilot study. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2012;66(10):1110–1115.
30. Sadrzadeh-Yeganeh H, Elmadfa I, Djazayery A, Jalali M, Heshmat R, Chamary M. The effects of probiotic and conventional yoghurt on lipid profile in women. British Journal of Nutrition. 2010;103(12):1778–1783.