Main Article Content
Keywords: Life Satisfaction, Nutrition, Sports Sciences, Health Sciences.
In this study, it is aimed to examine the relationship between life satisfaction and nutrition of the students studying at the faculty of sports and health sciences at university. 407 students, 244 women and 163 men, who study at the Faculty of Sport Sciences at Uşak University and the Faculty of Health Sciences in the 2018 - 2019 academic year participated in the study. In this study, "Three Factor Nutrition Scale" was used to evaluate the nutritional habits of students, and "Life Satisfaction Scale" was used to measure life satisfaction. “Personal Information Form” was used to evaluate the data regarding the demographic characteristics of university students. In analyzing the data, SPSS 22.0 program was used and frequency distributions were created. While total scores of life satisfaction scale do not differ according to age, gender, faculty and economic condition variables (p> 0.05), there are significant differences according to academic success, future expectation and loneliness level variables (p <0.05).> According to the scores of the nutrition scale; while there is a significant difference according to their age, gender, faculty, loneliness level (p <0.05), there is no significant difference according to academic success, economic situation, and future expectation (p> 0.05).> There is no statistically significant relationship between life satisfaction and nutrition (p <0.05). As a result, life satisfaction and nutrition have no effect on each other and it is seen that they are independent from each other. It will ensure that the students become healthier as a result of regular nutritional habits. Enjoying life and feeling psychologically happy can be effective in increasing of individuals' life satisfaction. For this reason, in this study, it was aimed to examine the relationship between students' life satisfaction and nutrition.
2. Baysal, A. Healthy Nutrition Experts; Suggestion and Consumer Perception, Journal of Nutrition and Dietetics; 1998; 27 (2nd); 1-4.
3. Murathan, F., Uğurlu, M. F., & Bayrak, E. Investigation of Nutrition Knowledge Levels of University Students Taking Nutrition Lessons (Besyo) Based on Department. The Journal of Academic Social Science, 2015; Year: 3, Issue: 21, p. 330-34.
4. Tanır, F., Şaşmaz, T., Beyhan, Y., & Bilici, S. “Nutritional Condition of Employees in a Textile Factory in Doğankent Town”, Turkish Medical Association Journal of Occupational Health and Safety, 2001; 22-25.
5. Baysal, A. Nutrition. Hatiboğlu Publishing House, 2002; 9. Baskı, Ankara,
6. Ergun, C. A Study on the Concept of Healthy Nutrition and Consumer Perception. Hacettepe University, Institute of Health Sciences, Science Specialist Thesis, Ankara, 2003.
7. Şahin, M. A. Evaluation of the Relationship Between Diet Quality and Quality of Life in Adult Individuals, Hacettepe University, Institute of Health Sciences, Master; s Thesis, Ankara, 2014.
8. Schröder, H., Navarro, E., Mora, J., Seco, J., Torregrosa, JM, & Tramullas, A. Dietary habits and fluid intake of a group of elite spanish basketball players: a need for professional advice. European Journal of Sport Science, 2004; 4 (2), 1-15.
9. Yağmur, C. A Research on the Nutritional Condition of Çukurova University Students. Journal of Nutrition and Dietetics: 1995; 24 (2), 239-251.
10. Barzegar, A., Ebrahimi, M., Azizi, M., & Ranjbar, K. A Study of Nutrition Knowledge, Attitudes and Food Habits of College Students. World Appl. Sci. J., 2011; 15 (7): 1012-1017
11. Neugarten, B. L., Havighurst, R. J., & Tobin, S. S. The Measurement Of Job Satisfaction Journal of gerontology, 1961.
12. Balkanlı, N. Investigation of the Relationship Between Quality of Life, Life Satisfaction and Hopelessness in Mothers with and without Autistic Children. Maltepe University, Institute of Social Sciences, Master Thesis. Istanbul, 2008.
13. Özgen, F. C.On me. Investigation of Physical Education and Sports School Students; Life Satisfaction Levels. Graduation Thesis, Çanakkale On Eight Mart University, Canakkale, 2012.
14. Diener, E., Oishi, S., & Lucas, R. E. Personality, Culture, and Subjective Wellbeing: Emotional and Cognitive Evaluations of Life. Annu. Rev. Psychol. 2003; 54, 403-425.
15. Amarantos, E., Martinez, A., & Dwyer, J. Nutrition and quality of life in older adults. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci, 2001; 56 Spec No 2, 54-64.
16. Koltarla, S. Investigation of Quality of Life of Health Personnel of Taksim Training and Research Hospital. Postgraduate Thesis. Istanbul, 2008.
17. Terzi, Ş. Psychological Resilience Model Regarding Subjective Well Being. Ph. D. Thesis, Ankara Gazi University, Institute of Social Sciences, Ankara, 2005.
18. Diener, E., Emmons, R. A., Larsen, R. J., & Griffin, S. The Satisfaction With Life Scale. Journal of personality assessment, 1985; 49 (1), 71-75.
19. Köker, S. Comparison of normal and problematic adolescents; life satisfaction levels. Master Thesis, Ankara University, Institute of Social Sciences, Ankara, 1991.
20. Orphan, Ü. Life satisfaction: A study based on the organization of personal projects. Social Indicators Research, 1993; 29 (3), 277-289.
21. Karlsson, J., Persson, L. O, Sjöström, L., & Sullivan, M. Psychometric properties and factor structure of the Three-Factor Eating Questionnaire (TFEQ) in obese men and women. Results from the Swedish Obese Subjects (SOS) study. International journal of obesity, 2000; 24(12), 1715-1725.
22. Kıraç, D., Kaspar, E. Ç., Avcılar, T., Çakır, Ö. K., Ulucan, K., Kurtel, H., & Güney, A. İ. A new method in the study of obesity-related nutritional habits is the “Three-factor nutrition questionnaire”. Clinical and Experimental Health Sciences, 2015; 5 (3), 162-169.
23. Kozaklı, H. Comparison of the Relationship Between Loneliness and Social Support Levels in University Students. Institute of Social Sciences, Master Thesis, Mersin University, Mersin, 2006.
24. Uygur, M., & Yelken, T. Y. Examination of satisfaction levels and future expectation perceptions of elementary teacher candidates: Mersin University example. Journal of Higher Education, 2017; 7 (1), 1-9.
25. Tuncer, M. A Research on Future Expectations of Higher Education Youth. Electronic Turkish Studies, 2011; 6 (2nd), 935-948.
26. Özkaya, G. Relationship Between University Students; Loneliness Levels and Hopelessness and Life Satisfaction. Institute of Social Sciences, Master Thesis, Halic University, Istanbul, 2017.
27. Invention, M. The Relationship Locus of Loneliness Level in Adolescent Students. Social Sciences Institute, Unpublished Master Thesis, Dokuz Eylül University, Izmir, 1996.
28. Printers, İ. Investigation of Loneliness Levels of Young People Doing Sports and Non-Sports. Health Sciences Institute, Master Thesis. Celal Bayar University Manisa, 2004.
29. Kırımoğlu, H., Çokluk, F. G., & Yıldırım, Y. Regional Boarding Primary School 6. 7. and 8. Loneliness and Hopelessness According to Classroom Students&; Sports Condition Investigation of Levels (Example of Hatay Province). Journal of Physical Education and Sports Sciences, 2010; 8 (3), 101-108.
30. Yilmaz, B. Investigation of the relationship between the life satisfaction and burnout levels of the staff working, doing and not doing sports in Kahramanmaraş Metropolitan Municipality. Health Sciences Institute, Master Thesis, Kahramanmaras Sutcu Imam University, Kahramanmaras, 2019.
31. Aydıner, B. B. Investigation of the Sub-Dimensions of Life Purposes of University Students According to General Self-Efficacy Life Satisfaction and Various Variables. Educational Sciences Institute, Master Thesis, Sakarya University, Sakarya, 2011.
32. Huebner, E. S. Preliminary development and validation of a multidimensional life satisfaction scale for children. Psychological assessment, 1994; 6 (2), 149.
33. Özkul, R., & Cömert, M. Life Satisfaction Level in Secondary School Teachers. Journal of Erzincan University Faculty of Education, 2018; 20 (3), 707-724.
34. Yaşartürk, F., Akyüz, H., & Karataş, İ. Investigation of the Relationship Between the Perception of Boredom in Leisure Time and Life Satisfaction Levels of University Students Participating in Recreative Activities. Int J Cult Soc Studies, 2017; 3: 239-252.
35. Işık, Ö. G., & Kocak, Ö. F. Examining the Life Satisfaction of the Faculty of Communication Students in Terms of Different Variables, Selcuk Communication, 2014; 8 (3). 281-300.
36. Aktağ, I., & Alpay, D. D. Hopelessness Levels of Students Studying at Abant Izzet Baysal University School of Physical Education and Sports. Abant İzzet Baysal University Faculty of Education Journal, 2015; 15: 15-24.
37. Kalfa, S. Examination of Life Satisfaction and Free Time Satisfaction of Students of Faculty of Sports Sciences and Education (Uşak University Case). Institute of Social Sciences, M.Sc. Thesis, Muğla Sıtkı Koçman University, Muğla, 2017.
38. Dost, M. T. Investigation of university students; life satisfaction according to some variables. Pamukkale University Journal of Education, 2007; 22 (22), 132-143.
39. Kılıç, E. Determination of Nutrition Knowledge Levels and Nutritional Habits of Women Working with Agriculture, Institute of Educational Sciences, Master Thesis, Gazi University, Ankara, 2009.
40. Gul, T. The Concept of Healthy Nutrition and University Students; Attitudes and Behaviors towards Nutritional Habits: The Case of Çukurova University, Institute of Social Sciences, Master Thesis, Çukurova University, Adana, 2011.
41. Demir, F. Comparison of Nutritional Condition of Sports and Sedentary Adolescents, Institute of Health Sciences, Master Thesis, Istanbul Aydın University, Istanbul, 2019.
42. Erçim, E. R. Evaluation of Nutritional Condition of University Students and Determination of Healthy Eating Indices, Institute of Health Sciences, Master Thesis, Hacettepe University, Ankara, 2014.
43. Schimmack, U., Radhakrishnan, P., Oishi, S., Dzokoto, V., & Ahadi, S. Culture, personality, and positive well-being: integrating process models of life satisfaction. Journal of personality and social psychology, 2002; 82 (4), 582.
44. Özer, M., & Karabulut, Ö. H. E. Life satisfaction in the elderly. Life satisfaction in the elderly. Geriatrics, 2003; 6 (2), 72-74.
45. Besler, H. T., Rakıcıoğlu, N., Ayaz, A., Demirel, Z. B., Özel, H. G., Samur, G. E., Yıldız, E. A., Bilgiç, P., Dikmen, D., Göktaş, Z., Kızıl, M., Mutlu, A. A., Ünal, R. N., Fisunoğlu, M., Güleç, A., Çiftçi, S., Ede, G., Erçim, R. E., Kabasakal, A., Yılmaz, D., & Yürük, A. Specific Food and Nutrition Guide Turkey [Turkey; s Food and Nutrition Guide]. Faculty of Health Sciences, Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, Hacettepe University, Ankara, 2015.