Main Article Content
sarcoidosis, geriatric assessment, radiology, fibrosis, multidetector computed tomography
Background and aim: The aim was to compare the radiological and clinical characteristics of sarcoidosis between elderly and non-elderly patients.
Methods: This retrospective observational study was carried out in patients with sarcoidosis. Elderly-onset sarcoidosis was defined as sarcoidosis diagnosed in patients ≥65 years-old. Patients were stratified by age (≥65 years versus <65 years) and radiological and clinical data were compared between age groups.
Results: Of the 163 patients, 38 (23.3%) were in the elderly group and 125 (76.7%) were in the non-elderly group. Elderly patients more frequently demonstrated arthralgia (50% vs. 12.8%, p<0.001), coronary artery disease (15.8% vs. 2.4%, p=0.005), congestive heart failure (13.2% vs. 0.8%, p=0.003), pneumonia (7.9% vs. 0.8%, p=0.04), and pleural fluid (18.4% vs. 0.0%, p<0.001). Clinical remission was significantly more likely in younger patients than in the elderly (76.8% vs. 55.3%, p=0.01). The clinical course to chronic-progressive disease was similar in both groups (p=0.635). Radiologically, lymph nodes measuring 10-25 mm in the short axis (89.5% vs. 72.6%, p=0.032), usual interstitial pneumonia pattern (10.5% vs. 0.8%, p=0.011), and main pulmonary artery diameter above 30 mm (34.2% vs. 16.0%, p=0.014) were significantly more frequent in the elderly group. Elderly patients tended to demonstrate Scadding stage I and II sarcoidosis (39.5% and 31.6%).
Conclusions: Presentation of elderly-onset sarcoidosis appears to differ from young-onset sarcoidosis. Radiologically, lymph node enlargement and the pattern of fibrosis may be distinctive.
2. Ungprasert P, Ryu JH, Matteson EL. Clinical Manifestations, Diagnosis, and Treatment of Sarcoidosis. Mayo Clin Proc Innov Qual Outcomes 2019; 3: 358-375.
3. Hunninghake GW, Costabel U, Ando M, et al. ATS/ERS/WASOG statement on sarcoidosis. American Thoracic Society/European Respiratory Society/World Association of Sarcoidosis and other Granulomatous Disorders. Sarcoidosis Vasc Diffuse Lung Dis 1999; 16: 149-73.
4. Hillerdal G, Nöu E, Osterman K, Schmekel B. Sarcoidosis: epidemiology and prognosis. A 15-year European study. Am Rev Respir Dis 1984; 130: 29-32.
5. Byg KE, Milman N, Hansen S. Sarcoidosis in Denmark 1980-1994. A registry-based incidence study comprising 5536 patients. Sarcoidosis Vasc Diffuse Lung Dis 2003; 20: 46-52.
6. Baughman RP, Teirstein AS, Judson MA, et al.; Case Control Etiologic Study of Sarcoidosis (ACCESS) research group. Clinical characteristics of patients in a case control study of sarcoidosis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2001; 164: 1885-9.
7. Morimoto T, Azuma A, Abe S, et al. Epidemiology of sarcoidosis in Japan. Eur Respir J 2008; 31: 372-9.
8. Sawahata M, Sugiyama Y, Nakamura Y, et al. Age-related and historical changes in the clinical characteristics of sarcoidosis in Japan. Respir Med 2015; 109: 272-8.
9. Jamilloux Y, Bonnefoy M, Valeyre D, Varron L, Broussolle C, Sève P. Elderly-onset sarcoidosis: prevalence, clinical course, and treatment. Drugs Aging 2013; 30: 969-78.
10. Kobak S, Yildiz F, Semiz H, Orman M. Elderly-onset sarcoidosis: A single center comparative study. Reumatol Clin (Engl Ed) 2020; 16: 235-238.
11. Scadding JG. Prognosis of intrathoracic sarcoidosis in England. A review of 136 cases after five years' observation. Br Med J 1961; 2: 1165-72.
12. Criado E, Sánchez M, Ramírez J, et al. Pulmonary sarcoidosis: typical and atypical manifestations at high-resolution CT with pathologic correlation. Radiographics 2010; 30: 1567-86.
13. Judson MA, Costabel U, Drent M, et al.; Organ Assessment Instrument Investigators TW. The WASOG Sarcoidosis Organ Assessment Instrument: An update of a previous clinical tool. Sarcoidosis Vasc Diffuse Lung Dis 2014; 31: 19-27.
14. Park HJ, Jung JI, Chung MH, et al. Typical and atypical manifestations of intrathoracic sarcoidosis. Korean J Radiol 2009; 10: 623-31.
15. Hansell DM, Bankier AA, MacMahon H, McLoud TC, Müller NL, Remy J. Fleischner Society: glossary of terms for thoracic imaging. Radiology 2008; 246: 697-722.
16. Stadnyk AN, Rubinstein I, Grossman RF, et al. Clinical features of sarcoidosis in elderly patients. Sarcoidosis 1988; 5: 121-3.
17. Varron L, Cottin V, Schott AM, Broussolle C, Sève P. Late-onset sarcoidosis: a comparative study. Medicine (Baltimore) 2012; 91: 137-143.
18. Lenner R, Schilero GJ, Padilla ML, Teirstein AS. Sarcoidosis presenting in patients older than 50 years. Sarcoidosis Vasc Diffuse Lung Dis 2002; 19: 143-7.
19. Bert A, Gilbert T, Cottin V, et al. Sarcoidosis diagnosed in the elderly: a case-control study. QJM 2021; 114: 238-245.
20. Chevalet P, Clément R, Rodat O, Moreau A, Brisseau JM, Clarke JP. Sarcoidosis diagnosed in elderly subjects: retrospective study of 30 cases. Chest 2004; 126: 1423-30.
21. Yanardağ H, Pamuk ON. Older sarcoidosis patients: experience of a medical center in Turkey. South Med J 2004; 97: 472-4.
22. Chebbi D, Marzouk S, Snoussi M, et al. Retrospective study of elderly onset sarcoidosis in Tunisian patients. Sarcoidosis Vasc Diffuse Lung Dis 2021; 38: e2021016.
23. Rubio-Rivas M, Corbella X, Mañá J. Elderly sarcoidosis: A comparative study from a 42-year single-centre experience. Respir Med 2019; 152: 1-6.
24. Masumoto N, Watanabe K, Horita N, Hara Y, Kobayashi N, Kaneko T. Elderly sarcoidosis in Japan. J Int Med Res 2022; 50: 3000605221142705.
25. Semenzato G. ACCESS: A Case Control Etiologic Study of Sarcoidosis. Sarcoidosis Vasc Diffuse Lung Dis 2005; 22: 83-6.
26. Brennan M, Breen D. Sarcoidosis in the older person: diagnostic challenges and treatment consideration. Age Ageing 2022; 51: afac203.
27. Schupp JC, Freitag-Wolf S, Bargagli E, et al. Phenotypes of organ involvement in sarcoidosis. Eur Respir J 2018; 51: 1700991.
28. Conant EF, Glickstein MF, Mahar P, Miller WT. Pulmonary sarcoidosis in the older patient: conventional radiographic features. Radiology 1988; 169: 315-9.
29. Rockoff SD, Rohatgi PK. Unusual manifestations of thoracic sarcoidosis. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1985; 144: 513-28.
30. Distefano G, Vancheri A, Palermo M, et al. Morphological Patterns of Sarcoidosis and Clinical Outcome: Retrospective Analysis through a Multidisciplinary Approach. Diagnostics (Basel) 2020; 10: 212.
31. Koide T, Saraya T, Tsukahara Y, et al. Clinical significance of the "galaxy sign" in patients with pulmonary sarcoidosis in a Japanese single-center cohort. Sarcoidosis Vasc Diffuse Lung Dis 2016; 33: 247-252.
32. Abehsera M, Valeyre D, Grenier P, Jaillet H, Battesti JP, Brauner MW. Sarcoidosis with pulmonary fibrosis: CT patterns and correlation with pulmonary function. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2000; 174: 1751-7.
33. Abehsera M, Valeyre D, Grenier P, Jaillet H, Battesti JP, Brauner MW. Sarcoidosis with pulmonary fibrosis: CT patterns and correlation with pulmonary function. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2000; 174: 1751-7.