Main Article Content
Whole Body Electrical Stimulation, Static Structure, Electrical stimulation, Muscle stimulation.
Whole Body Electrical Stimulation (WB-EMS) is a relatively new training method that has been used extensively in recent years, however, the lack of consensus on the efficacy of Whole Body Electrical Stimulation exists, and the aim of this study is to investigate the effects of this method on postural structure problems and musculoskeletal pain. Summary of articles by ISC, Google Scholar , American Journal of Sports Medicine , PubMed Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine , Cochrane , and Sports Medicine Journals between 2000 and 2019 were studied to identify all studies that report electrical stimulation applied simultaneously to the upper and lower limbs.Keywords: Electrical stimulation, Electrical muscle stimulation, Functional electrical stimulation, Whole body electrical stimulation, Wearable sensors, Electrotherapy, Electrode vest, Electrode vest for treatment and rehabilitation, E-fit, Electronic muscle stimulation , Whole body electronic muscle stimulation, Electronic Stimulation, Electronic Suit, Wearable Sensor, and Electrotherapy were used to obtain relevant articles and finally, 22 articles were compared according to the set criteria of 107 papers.Based on the results of studies on the effects of Whole Body Electrical Stimulation, this tool is based on parameters such as muscle strength, muscle size, body composition, obesity, sarcopenia, sarcopenia-induced obesity and pain reduction in non-specific chronic low back pain patients, have a significant positive effect.Due to the lack of studies on the effects of Whole Body Electrical Stimulation and the inconsistency between studies and the lack of similar consensus, further research is needed.
2. DervishSefat, A., Rahimi, A., Sarshin.A. (2016). Comparison of static postural and dynamic postural control ability in boys with sagittal spine deformities. Kurdistan University of Medical Sciences 1.47-59.
3. Karimi,S., Shojaedin.,S. (2013). Effect of a Selected Exercise Program Course on the Pain and Spinal Function of Young Girls with Chronic Low Back Pain without Applying Electrical Stimulation (APS). Physical Therapy 2. 24-28.
4. Jee, Y. S. (2018). The efficacy and safety of whole-body electromyostimulation in applying to human body: based from graded exercise test. J Exerc Rehabil. 14: 49–57.
5. Kemmler, W., Schliffka, R., Mayhew, J. L., & von Stengel, S. (2010). Effects of whole-body electromyostimulation on resting metabolic rate, body composition, and maximum strength in postmenopausal women: the training and electrostimulation trial. The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research, 24(7), 1880-1887.
6. Dreibati, B., Lavet, C., Pinti, A., & Poumarat, G. (2010). Influence of electrical stimulation frequency on skeletal muscle force and fatigue. Annals of physical and rehabilitation medicine, 53(4), 266-277.
7. Gondin, J., Guette, M., Ballay, Y., & Martin, A. (2006). Neural and muscular changes to detraining after electrostimulation training. European journal of applied physiology, 97(2), 165-173.
8. Kemmler, W., Teschler, M., Weißenfels, A., Bebenek, M., Fröhlich, M., Kohl, M., & von Stengel, S. (2016). Effects of whole-body electromyostimulation versus high-intensity resistance exercise on body composition and strength: a randomized controlled study. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine.
9. Kemmler, W., Bebenek, M., Engelke, K., & von Stengel, S. (2014). Impact of whole-body electromyostimulation on body composition in elderly women at risk for sarcopenia: The Training and ElectroStimulation Trial (TEST-III). Age, 36(1), 395-406.
10. Kemmler, W., Teschler, M., Weissenfels, A., Bebenek, M., Von Stengel, S., Kohl, M., ... & Engelke, K. (2016). Whole-body electromyostimulation to fight sarcopenic obesity in community-dwelling older women at risk. Resultsof the randomized controlled FORMOsA-sarcopenic obesity study. Osteoporosis International, 27(11), 3261-3270.
11. Kemmler, W., Von Stengel, S., Schwarz, J., & Mayhew, J. L. (2012). Effect of whole-body electromyostimulation on energy expenditure during exercise. The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research, 26(1), 240-245.
12. Kemmler, W., Weissenfels, A., Bebenek, M., Fröhlich, M., Kleinöder, H., Kohl, M., & von Stengel, S. (2017). Effects of whole-body electromyostimulation on low back pain in people with chronic unspecific dorsal pain: a meta-analysis of individual patient data from randomized controlled WB-EMS trials. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 2017.
13. Kemmler, W., Weissenfels, A., Teschler, M., Willert, S., Bebenek, M., Shojaa, M., ... & von Stengel, S. (2017). Whole-body electromyostimulation and protein supplementation favorably affect sarcopenic obesity in community-dwelling older men at risk: the randomized controlled FranSO study. Clinical interventions in aging, 12, 1503.
14. Kemmler, W., Weissenfels, A., Willert, S., Shojaa, M., von Stengel, S., Filipovic, A., ... & Fröhlich, M. (2018). Efficacy and safety of low frequency whole-body electromyostimulation (WB-EMS) to improve health-related outcomes in non-athletic adults. a systematic review. Frontiers in physiology, 9.
15. Filipovic, A., Grau, M., Kleinöder, H., Zimmer, P., Hollmann, W., & Bloch, W. (2016). Effects of a whole-body electrostimulation program on strength, sprinting, jumping, and kicking capacity in elite soccer players. Journal of sports science & medicine, 15(4), 639.
16. Pardos, A. I., & Veiga, Ó. L. (2018). Effectiveness evaluation of whole-body electromyostimulation as a postexercise recovery method. The Journal of sports medicine and physical fitness, 58(12), 1800-1807.
17. Filipovic, A. N. D. R. E., Kleinoder, H., Dormann, U., & MESTER, J. (2012). Electromyostimulation-A systematic review of the effects of different EMS methods on selected strength parameters in trained and elite athletes. J Strength Cond Res, 26(9), 2600-2614.
18. Stengel, S., Bebenek, M., Engelke, K., & Kemmler, W. (2015). Whole-body electromyostimulation to fight osteopenia in elderly females: the randomized controlled training and electrostimulation trial (TEST-III). Journal of osteoporosis, 2015.
19. Filipovic, A., Kleinöder, H., Dörmann, U., & Mester, J. (2011). Electromyostimulation: a systematic review of the influence of training regimens and stimulation parameters on effectiveness in electromyostimulation training of selected strength parameters. The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research, 25(11), 3218-3238.
20. Filipovic, A., Kleinöder, H., Plück, D., Hollmann, W., Bloch, W., & Grau, M. (2015). Influence of whole-body electrostimulation on human red blood cell deformability. The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research, 29(9), 2570-2578.
21. Babault, N., Cometti, G., Bernardin, M., Pousson, M., & Chatard, J. C. (2007). Effects of electromyostimulation training on muscle strength and power of elite rugby players. The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research, 21(2), 431-437.
22. Wirtz, N., Zinner, C., Doermann, U., Kleinoeder, H., & Mester, J. (2016). Effects of loaded squat exercise with and without application of superimposed EMS on physical performance. Journal of sports science & medicine, 15(1), 26.
23. Hosseini Sharifabad.M. (2009). Comparison of voluntary isometric exercises and electrical stimulation in strengthening quadriceps after knee immobilization in people over 40 years. Yazd Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences 3. 292.
24. Langeard, A., Bigot, L., Chastan, N., & Gauthier, A. (2017). Does neuromuscular electrical stimulation training of the lower limb have functional effects on the elderly? A systematic review. Experimental gerontology, 91, 88-98.
25. Paillard, T. (2008). Combined application of neuromuscular electrical stimulation and voluntary muscular contractions. Sports medicine, 38(2), 161-177.
26. Rodriguez, A., Beltran-Garrido, J. V., Hernández-González, V., & Reverter-Masia, J. (2019). Effects of whole-body ELECTROMYOSTIMULATION on health and performance: a systematic review. BMC complementary and alternative medicine, 19(1), 87.
27. Pregelj, S., & Šimunič, B. (2019). Effects of 8-week electrical muscle stimulation on the muscle contractile properties in adolescent girls. Annales Kinesiologiae, 9(2), 105-120.
28. Roshani,S., Ahanjan,SH. (2008). The Effect of a Selected Exercise Program Course with and without Applying Electrical Stimulation (APS) on Pain and Spinal Function of Young Girls with Chronic Low Back Pain. Sports Science Research ,98-83.