Main Article Content
STROBE; General Nutrition Knowledge Questionnaire; cross-sectional study
Background: Nutrition knowledge is one of the influential factors which have a significant relation with chronic diseases and diet quality. This study aimed to conduct a systematic review of nutrition knowledge assessment among university students. Methods: An online article’s search was done using the PubMed search engine. Articles' search criterion included nutrition knowledge assessment related to observational studies among university going students. The article has been presented according to the PRISMA checklist. STROBE (Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology) criterion was used for the methodological quality of the included papers. Mann Whitney tests were used for the comparison. Results: A total of 1470 articles were retrieved, and in-depth 29 English language articles were selected. The sample size ranges from 63-1037 respondents. Most of the studies didn't report the sampling techniques. The majority of papers (75.9 %) had 50-80 % (category B) STROBE points. There was no significant difference in articles regarding nutrition knowledge published before and after 2000 (P>0.05). Conclusion: These studies reveal that over a long period researchers didn't maintain the quality of work in this particular area. The STROBE criterion should be strictly followed for observational studies for good quality work in assessing nutrition knowledge among young population.
2. Worsley A. Nutrition knowledge and food consumption: can nutrition knowledge change food behaviour? Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 2002;11 Suppl 3:S579-85.
3. Nelms M, Sucher K, Lacey K. Nutrition therapy and pathophysiology. 3rd ed. Boston, MA: Cengage. 2014.
4. Widmer RJ, Flammer AJ, Lerman LO, Lerman A. The Mediterranean diet, its components, and cardiovascular disease. Am J Med 2015;128:229-38.
5. Silliman K, Rodas-Fortier K, Neyman M. A survey of dietary and exercise habits and perceived barriers to following a healthy lifestyle in a college population. Cal J Health Promot 2004;18:281.
6. Ha EJ, Caine-Bish N. Interactive introductory nutrition course focusing on disease prevention increased whole-grain consumption by college students. J Nutr Educ Behav 2011;43:263-7.
7. Nelson MC, Story M, Larson NI, Neumark-Sztainer D, Lytle LA. Emerging adulthood and college-aged youth: an overlooked age for weight-related behavior change. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2008;16:2205-11.
8. Franko DL, Cousineau TM, Trant M, Green TC, Rancourt D, Thompson D, Ainscough J, Mintz LB, Ciccazzo M. Motivation, self-efficacy, physical activity and nutrition in college students: randomized controlled trial of an internet-based education program. Prev Med 2008;47:369-77.
9. Huang TT, Harris KJ, Lee RE, Nazir N, Born W, Kaur H. Assessing overweight, obesity, diet, and physical activity in college students. J Am Coll Health 2003;52:83-6.
10. Zaborowicz K, Czarnocinska J, Galinski G, Kazmierczak P, Gorska K, Durczewski P. Evaluation of selected dietary behaviours of students according to gender and nutritional knowledge. Rocz Panstw Zakl Hig 2016;67:45-50.
11. Haq IU, Mariyam Z, Zeb F, Jiang P, Wu X, Shah J, Xu C, Zhou M, Feng Q, Li M. Identification of Body Composition, Dietary Patterns and Its Associated Factors in Medical University Students in China. Ecol Food Nutr 2019:1-14.
12. Ul Haq I, Mariyam Z, Li M, Huang X, Jiang P, Zeb F, Wu X, Feng Q, Zhou M. A Comparative Study of Nutritional Status, Knowledge Attitude and Practices (KAP) and Dietary Intake between International and Chinese Students in Nanjing, China. Int J Environ Res Public Health 2018;15.
13. Barbosa LB, Vasconcelos SM, Correia LO, Ferreira RC. Nutrition knowledge assessment studies in adults: a systematic review. Cien Saude Colet 2016;21:449-62.
14. Parmenter K, Waller J, Wardle J. Demographic variation in nutrition knowledge in England. Health Educ Res 2000;15:163-74.
15. Kresic G, Kendel Jovanovic G, Pavicic Zezel S, Cvijanovic O, Ivezic G. The effect of nutrition knowledge on dietary intake among Croatian university students. Coll Antropol 2009;33:1047-56.
16. Alsaffar AA. Validation of a general nutrition knowledge questionnaire in a Turkish student sample. Public Health Nutr 2012;15:2074-85.
17. Yahia N, Brown CA, Rapley M, Chung M. Level of nutrition knowledge and its association with fat consumption among college students. BMC Public Health 2016;16:1047.
18. Kliemann N, Wardle J, Johnson F, Croker H. Reliability and validity of a revised version of the General Nutrition Knowledge Questionnaire. Eur J Clin Nutr 2016;70:1174-80.
19. Bottcher MR, Marincic PZ, Nahay KL, Baerlocher BE, Willis AW, Park J, Gaillard P, Greene MW. Nutrition knowledge and Mediterranean diet adherence in the southeast United States: Validation of a field-based survey instrument. Appetite 2017;111:166-76.
20. Hanna K, Hanley A, Huddy A, McDonald M, Willer F. Physical Activity Participation and Nutrition and Physical Activity Knowledge in University Dance Students. Med Probl Perform Art 2017;32:1-7.
21. Phillips MG. The nutrition knowledge of medical students. J Med Educ 1971;46:86-90.
22. Cotugna N, Vickery CE. College students' awareness, knowledge, and compliance with food guide pyramid recommendations. Am J Health Promot 1994;8:417-9.
23. Hamm MW, Schnaak MD, Janas BG. Nutrition knowledge and attitudes of hotel and restaurant management students. J Am Diet Assoc 1995;95:1158-9.
24. Pietz CL, Fryer BA, Fryer HC. Nutritional knowledge and attitudes of dental students. J Am Dent Assoc 1980;100:366-9.
25. Brett A, Godden DJ, Keenan R. Nutritional knowledge of medical staff and students: is present education adequate? Hum Nutr Appl Nutr 1986;40:217-22.
26. Allard R, Mongeon M. Associations between nutritional knowledge, attitude and behaviour in a junior college population. Can J Public Health 1982;73:416-9.
27. Jessri M, Jessri M, RashidKhani B, Zinn C. Evaluation of Iranian college athletes' sport nutrition knowledge. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab 2010;20:257-63.
28. Abebe MG, Tariku MK, Yitaferu TB, Shiferaw ED, Desta FA, Yimer EM, Akassa KM, Thompson EC. Assessment of Nutrition Competency of Graduating Agriculture Students in Ethiopia: A Cross-sectional Study. J Nutr Educ Behav 2017;49:312-20 e1.
29. El-Ahmady S, El-Wakeel L. The Effects of Nutrition Awareness and Knowledge on Health Habits and Performance Among Pharmacy Students in Egypt. J Community Health 2017;42:213-20.
30. Chepulis LM, Mearns GJ. Evaluation of the Nutritional Knowledge of Undergraduate Nursing Students. J Nurs Educ 2015;54:S103-6.
31. Bernardes Spexoto MC, Garcia Ferin G, Duarte Bonini Campos JA. Pharmacology and biochemistry undergraduate students' concern for a healthy diet and nutrition knowledge. Nutr Hosp 2015;31:1813-23.
32. El-Sabban F, Badr HE. Assessment of nutrition knowledge and related aspects among first-year Kuwait University students. Ecol Food Nutr 2011;50:181-95.
33. Shah K, Hunter ML, Fairchild RM, Morgan MZ. A comparison of the nutritional knowledge of dental, dietetic and nutrition students. Br Dent J 2011;210:33-8.
34. Saeidlou SN, Babaei F, Ayremlou P. Nutritional Knowledge, Attitude and Practice of North West Households in Iran: Is Knowledge likely to Become Practice? Maedica (Buchar) 2016;11:286-95.
35. Waldhäusl S, Aceijas C, Lambert N, Bello-Corassa R. Determinants of nutritional imbalance among UK university students: a cross sectional study: Sabrina Waldhäusl. The European Journal of Public Health 2016;26:ckw174. 058.
36. Rea L, Parker R. Selecting a representative sample. 3rd edition. San Francisco CA: Jossey-Bass. 2005:114 -27.
37. Del Greco L, Walop W, McCarthy RH. Questionnaire development: 2. Validity and reliability. CMAJ 1987;136:699-700.
38. von Elm E, Altman DG, Egger M, Pocock SJ, Gotzsche PC, Vandenbroucke JP, Initiative S. Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE) statement: guidelines for reporting observational studies. BMJ 2007;335:806-8.
39. Hu SP, Liu JF, Shieh MJ. Nutrition knowledge, attitudes and practices among senior medical students in Taiwan. J Am Coll Nutr 1997;16:435-8.
40. Thomas DT, McArthur L, Corbett RW. Nutrition knowledge and attitudes of allied health and fitness students. J Allied Health 2006;35:e37-58.
41. Kolodinsky J, Harvey-Berino JR, Berlin L, Johnson RK, Reynolds TW. Knowledge of current dietary guidelines and food choice by college students: better eaters have higher knowledge of dietary guidance. J Am Diet Assoc 2007;107:1409-13.
42. Buxton C, Davies A. Nutritional knowledge levels of nursing students in a tertiary institution: lessons for curriculum planning. Nurse Educ Pract 2013;13:355-60.
43. Yahia N, Wang D, Rapley M, Dey R. Assessment of weight status, dietary habits and beliefs, physical activity, and nutritional knowledge among university students. Perspect Public Health 2016;136:231-44.
44. Hargrove EJ, Berryman DE, Yoder JM, Beverly EA. Assessment of Nutrition Knowledge and Attitudes in Preclinical Osteopathic Medical Students. J Am Osteopath Assoc 2017;117:622-33.
45. Erdenebileg Z, Park SH, Chang KJ. Comparison of body image perception, nutrition knowledge, dietary attitudes, and dietary habits between Korean and Mongolian college students. Nutr Res Pract 2018;12:149-59.
46. Alkaed D, Ibrahim N, Ismail F, Barake R. Validity and Reliability of a Nutrition Knowledge Questionnaire in an Adult Student Population. J Nutr Educ Behav 2018;50:718-23.