Main Article Content
soy sausage, meat-free product, fatty acid, HPMC
This study aimed to investigate the effect of replacement with gluten and HPMC (hydroxypropyl methylcellulose) on physicochemical, textural, and sensory properties of meat-free product, soy sausages. Meat-free sausages showed more high moisture content (71.66%~74.05%) but meat sausage had the lowest moisture content (55.78%). For fatty acids composition, meat sausage showed large chain fatty acid (C18:1n-9 Cis, C18:1n-9 trans, C18:2n-6 trans, C20:0) while meat-free sausage showed small and medium chain (C8:0, C12:0, C13:0, C14:0, C14:1, C16:0, C16:1, C17:1). The disadvantage of texture and juiciness, which is the biggest problem of meat-free product can be compensated by use of 2% HPMC. 2% of HPMC addition had effects in consumer preference test so that the replacement of fat in meat product was confirmed with HPMC with benefits.
2. Fernandez‐Gines J M, Fernandez‐Lopez J, Sayas‐Barbera E, Perez‐Alvarez J A. Meat products as functional foods: A review. J. Food Sci 2005; 70: R37–R43.
3. Azham N A. Physicochemical and sensory characteristics of vegetarian sausage. M.S. Thesis, MARA Technology University, Shah Alam, Selangor, Malaysia, 2011.
4. Wu Z S, Schenk-Hamlin D, Zhan W Y, Ragsdale D W, Heimpel G E. The soybean aphid in China: A historical review. Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am 2004; 97: 209-218.
5. Seideman S, Smith G, Carpenter, Z. Addition of textured soy protein and mechanically deboned beef to ground beef formulations. J. Food Sci 1977; 42: 197-201.
6. Katayama M, Wilson L A. Utilization of Soybeans and their components through the development of textured soy protein foods. J. Food Sci 2008; 73: S158-S164.
7. Kim W J. Health and use of soybean. Hyoil, Seoul, Korea, 2006.
8. Dogan S F, Sahin, S, Sumnu G. Effects of soy and rice flour addition on batter rheology and quality of deep-fat fried chicken nuggets. J. Food Eng 2005; 71: 127-132.
9. Marco C, Rosell C M. Breadmaking performance of protein enriched, gluten-free breads. Eur. Food Res. Technol 2008; 227: 1205-1213.
10. Cha M H, Heo J Y, Lee C, Lo Y, Moon B. Quality and sensory characterzation of white jelly mushroom (Tremella fuciformis) as a meat substitute in pork patty formulation. J. Food Process. Preserv 2015; 39: 327-327.
11. Mariotti M, Pagani M A, Lucisano M. The role of buckwheat and HPMC on the breadmaking properties of some commercial gluten-free bread mixtures. Food Hydrocolloids 2013; 30: 393-400.
12. Vueba M L, de Carvalho L A E B, Veiga F, Sousa J J, Pina M E. Role of cellulose ether polymers on ibuprofen release from matrix tablets. Drug Dev. Ind. Pharm 2005; 31: 653-665.
13. Barcenas M E, Rosell C A. Effect of HPMC addition on the microstructure, quality and aging of wheat bread. Food Hydrocolloids 2005; 19: 1037-1043.
14. Kim H, Turowski M, Anderson W H K, Young S A, Kim Y, Yokoyama W. Supplementation of Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose into Yeast Leavened All-Whole Grain Barley Bread Potentiates Cholesterol-Lowering Effect. J. Agric.Food Chem 2011; 59: 7672-7678.
15. Woo M N, Jeon S M, Kim H J, Lee M K, Shin S K, Shin Y C, Park Y B, Choi M S. Fucoxanthin supplementation improves plasma and hepatic lipid metabolism and blood glucose concentration in high-fat fed C57BL/6N mice. Chem. -Biol Interact 2010; 186: 316-322.
16. Medcalf D. Wheat starches I. Comparison of physicochemical properties. Cereal Chem 1965; 42: 558-568.
17. Voss D H. Relating colorimeter measurement of plant color to the Royal Horticultural Society Colour Chart. HortScience 1992; 27: 1256-1260.
18. Ares G, Jaeger S R, Bava C M, Chheang S L, Jin D, Gimenez A, Varela P. CATA questions for sensory product characterization: Raising awareness of biases. Food Qual. Pre 2013; 30: 114-127.
19. Perez-Cacho M P, Gala´n-Soldevilla H, Leo´n Crespo F, Molina Recio G. Determination of the sensory attributes of a Spanish dry-cured sausage. Meat Sci 2005; 71:620-633.
20. Herskowitz B, Segal R. Applications of new lupine protein derivates as alternative protein sources in meat analogs. J. Agroaliment. Processes Technol 2005; 9: 503-508.
21. Kal-Lai H, Lester A Wilson, Joseph G Sebranek. Dried soy tofu powder effects on frankfurters and pork sausage patties. J. Food Sci 1997; 62: 434-437.
22. Leggio A, Liguori A, Napoli A, Siciliano C, Sindona G. Site selectivity in the synthesis of O-methylated hydroxamic acids with diazomethane. J. Org Chem 2001; 66: 2246-2250.
23. Prestamo G, Fontecha J. High pressure treatment on the tofu fatty acids and acylglycerols content. Innovative Food Sci, Emerging Technol 2007; 8: 188-191.
24. Galante J H, Tenore R R. Medium-chain triglycerides. In Handbook of functional lipids (pp. 184-190): CRC Press, 2005.
25. Marten B, Pfeuffer M, Schrezenmeir J. Medium-chain triglycerides. Int. Dairy J 2006; 16: 1374-1382.
26. Hashim S, Arteaga A, Van Itallie T, Cozanitis D. Effect of a saturated medium-chain triglyceride on serumlipids in man. Lancet 1960; 1: 1105-1108.
27. Majzoobi M, Talebanfar S, Eskandari M H, Farahnaky A. Improving the quality of meat‐free sausages using κ‐carrageenan, konjac mannan and xanthan gum. Int. J. Food Sci. Technol 2017; 52: 1269-1275.
28. Christianson D, Hodge J, Osborne D, Detroy R W. Gelatinization of wheat starch as modified by xanthan gum, guar gum, and cellulose gum. Cereal Chem 1981; 58: 513-517.
29. Park J, Choi I, Kim Y. Cookies formulated from fresh okara using starch, soy flour and hydroxypropyl methylcellulose have high quality and nutritional value. LWT-Food Sci. Technol 2015; 63: 660-666.
30. Dhanasekharan M, Wang C, Kokini J. Use of nonlinear differential viscoelastic models to predict the rheological properties of gluten dough. J. Food Process Eng 2001; 24: 193-216.
31. Gomez M, Ronda F, Caballero P A, Blanco C A, Rosell C M. Functionality of different hydrocolloids on the quality and shelf-life of yellow layer cakes. Food Hydrocolloids 2007; 21: 167-173.
32. Xin Y, Lee J Y, Kim Y. Effect of curdlan on textural and cooking qualities of noodles made with tofu. J Food Proc Preserv 2017; 13661.
33. Gularte M A, de la Hera E, Gomez M, Rosell C M. Effect of different fibers on batter and gluten-free layer cake properties. LWT-Food Sci. Technol 2012; 48: 209-214.
34. Kim J, Choi I, Shin W K, Kim Y. Effects of HPMC (Hydroxypropyl methylcellulose) on oil uptake and texture of gluten-free soy donut. LWT-Food Sci. Technol 2015; 62: 620-627.
35. Booren B L, Castell-Perez M E, Miller R K. Effect of meat enhancement solutions with hydroxypropy methylcellulose and konjac flour on texture and quality attributes of pale, soft, and exudative pork. J Texture Stud 2017; 48: 403-414.